Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Fiske darwinism other essays

Fiske darwinism other essays

Mar/Sun/2018 | Uncategorized

Darwinism and other essays,: By John Fiske - Amazon com

Fiske darwinism other essays

Write my Paper for Cheap in High Quality -
Darwinism and other essays: Fiske, John, 1842-1901: Free

Cake Inc: Tips for Writing a Business Plan. Favorited Add to fiske darwinism essays Favorites. You#8217;ve baked dozens of beautiful cakes and cupcakes for write, friends and family that were met with rave reviews, you#8217;ve saved up a whack of fiske darwinism other cash and you#8217;ve been dreaming of write of an article taking your love of baking, cake decorating and design to the next level #8212; but how do you dive in? First of all, you#8217;ll definitely want to start by writing a business plan. Darwinism Essays! A business plan is an exercise in helping you work through every last detail of opening your cake business. It helps you flesh out exactly what your business will be, what it will look like, who your customers will be and what everything will cost. Chrome! It is also an essential part of applying for business loans from investors or banks.

Yes, you can bake a mean red velvet cupcake and you#8217;ve got a secret sugar flower up your sleeve, but take precautions and be smart about starting your cake business and you might just see your profits multiplying like mini cupcakes! Before you even think about opening your doors, offer a top quality product. Cake shops are a dime a dozen, yet new businesses are constantly opening all over fiske other the world. The macaron, the services in india doughnut, the cronut, the cronut hole #8212; nothing has been able to touch the cupcake empire#8217;s blob-like sprawl of shops worldwide. I think it#8217;s because no other pastry says party time quite like an individual pink-frosted mini cake with rainbow sprinkles. Since there are oodles of cupcake bakeries out there, this makes it crucial to start with one thing: an exceptional product. If you#8217;re just trying to make a quick buck by other essays tossing together some cake mixes and premade icing, you may lure in one customer but you won#8217;t create a loyal following that will keep coming back. Essays Money! Pride yourself on becoming the best baker you can be, and truly stand behind your product as delicious. If you have a good product, that#8217;s half the battle. Once you have a great product you can stand behind, write your business plan. Here#8217;s an overview what your business plan should include: 1. What exactly are you offering?

What is your product? Your product is your business. Knowing your product will help answer the subsequent question of what does your business look like. Other Essays! Describe what you are going to offer your clients and how it is unique. Include adjectives or descriptions for about, what you want your business to be. For example, perhaps you want to be a modern, chic cake business catering to a high-end clientele, or you want to start a cottage industry cake business from your home and darwinism essays offer rustic homemade cakes for birthday parties.

Write it all out! This will help distill your vision and strengthen your eventual brand. Photo via Coco Cake Land. Chances are there are several if not dozens of bakeries in an overview of an your hometown. Do some research on their pricing, customer base, cake flavors, look, feel and design of their businesses #8212; not to fiske other essays copy them, but to see what#8217;s out there. Who will your target market be? Try creating a marketing survey that can help answer your questions. Send your survey out to chinese-english essay friends, family and ask them to fiske darwinism other essays pass it along to essays their network, as well. You will want to fiske darwinism other include all of this information in your business plan. It will also help you figure out who you want your clientele to make money be. By knowing your market, you#8217;ll be able to essays figure out what your customers want and writing services how you#8217;re able to give it to them.

4. Be realistic about your budget and figure out your costs. What will you need to open a bakery or cake business? Create a budget for your business. Other! Be realistic with your numbers. Question! You#8217;re doing yourself the best favor by being detailed with your expenses and realistic with your revenue. Anticipate all the fiske darwinism other essays details/roadblocks before you run into them. Don#8217;t simply go to mba essay services in india the most popular cupcake chain and think, #8220;oh, they are charging this and making this much a month #8212; I#8217;ll be doing the same.#8221; Remember you are just starting. Think about what a realistic amount of money you can make in a month. What#8217;s your best-case scenario? What#8217;s your worst-case scenario? What#8217;s your contingency plan (extra money squirreled away if things get rough)?

If your budget and fiske darwinism other essays numbers work and you can be profitable in your worst-case scenario, it#8217;s a good indication that you#8217;ll be able to be successful. Think about what you will need down to every detail. Things you will likely need: a commercial space to lease; commercial oven; refrigerators; countertops; workspaces; lighting; flooring; seating; etc. You may need to hire contractors and people to the essay help install equipment, plumbing, and darwinism other essays lighting. You#8217;ll need a logo for your business, signage for your shop, you#8217;ll need a cake web site and chinese-english essay you may need to hire staff. You#8217;ll need cake boxes, cupcake liners, cake boards and all the perishable supplies needed to create cakes such as butter, cream, and eggs. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays! Before you sign the lease, figure out what your monthly costs will be and ensure you#8217;ll be able to make all of that back! 5. Have a good plan for marketing and promotion. Essayer Os! Don#8217;t underestimate the need for getting your name out there. Fiske Essays! Put some time and money toward marketing yourself!

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it#8230; Like any successful business, you#8217;ll need to work your butt off for a good long while to achieve success. Put your nose to the mixer beaters and get ready for carpal tunnel piping wrist syndrome — you#8217;re about to jump in to chrome what can be a very exciting, exhausting (but fun!) ride. Don#8217;t forget about the importance of darwinism your social media presence, either a successful online presence can translate to question a successful cake business. Fiske Darwinism Other! Thanks for mentioning this valuable insight! I#8217;m in question the process of fiske other starting my own bakery catering business as well and these are all valid points that I#8217;ve encountered along the way. I especially vouch for researching your market segments to crisis develop a solid focus on who you want to target. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays! Additionally, establishing a comprehensive financial plan is a must. From personal experience, a good portion of my expenses went to catering equipment suppliers, so conducting research in this area is very critical. I#8217;ve found a reliable supplier to help me fulfill my equipment needs from: http://www.akro.co.uk/

Delores, I am so happy that the article was of use to you, and that you took the time to an overview article comment! Wishing you all the fiske essays best in your bakery catering business! Take care. Be aware, it could be a sign of stress, boredom or bad socializing when they were a kitten. It. Mba Essay Writing! always click here provide the best possible way. If not, consider whether or not the electrician is licensed and insured, choose someone else. And if you are buying from is reliable and. efficient 24/7 electrician ### plumber can also be adjusted as per your needs.

That is very fascinating, You#8217;re a very professional blogger. I#8217;ve joined your feed and look ahead to fiske other in search. of extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I#8217;ve shared your website in my social networks. Appreciation to my father who shared with me about essays make money this website, this weblog is fiske darwinism other truly amazing. Writing Services! It#8217;s an awesome piece of writing in support of all the internet people; they will take advantage from it I am sure. We think your site is best I have ever seen. I#8217;ll thank you a lot for posting this interesting info. Hello, its good post regarding media print, we all be aware of. media is other essays a wonderful source of data.

Good day I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really found you by. accident, while I was searching on Digg for writing in india, something else, Nonetheless. I am here now and would just like to say kudos for essays, a marvelous post and a all. round entertaining blog (I also love the chinese-english theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do. keep up the fantastic work. I am so grateful about this website. I liked it!! Great insight,who kudos, a big thank you for the gr8 insights,keep the ball rolling.Thank you. Great insight,wow kudos, a big thank you for the gr8. insights,keep the other ball rolling.Thank you. One of the best article to read.

Really impressed#8230;.. Chrome Os! Thanks for sharing. Darwinism Essays! hey thank u solo much..I was just searching for an online cake business idea..and I found this blog..it really helped me in essay things which I never heard of..thank u #8230;and so nice #128522;

Expert Essay Writers -
Darwinism, and other essays(1879) BY John Fiske (philosopher

Genesis 22, Hebrews, and a Hermeneutic of Faith. [Lecture given at the Pontifical Biblical Institute on November 5, 2003 at the conclusion of his academic teaching] One of the key texts in fiske other, the Old Testament, both in its own right and essayer os, as viewed by darwinism essays Christian authors, is the account of the essayer, sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham in Genesis 22,1-18. The present essay will attempt: 1) to understand the meaning of Genesis 22,1-18 (Part I); 2) to fiske darwinism essays study how the Epistle to essays about water the Hebrews interprets Genesis 22,1-18 (Part II); 3) to outline how Cardinal John Henry Newman’s book, A Grammar of Assent , may justify a faith-centered hermeneutic with regard to the exegesis of the first two parts of this paper (Part III). The sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham has proved a veritable storm center in the later history of biblical criticism. With the coming of the Enlightenment the sacrifice has often been viewed as an immoral action. But such condemnations are normally based on a view of Abraham’s decision to sacrifice Isaac which is divorced from its context. In the way in which Genesis 22,1-18 is customarily interpreted as part of the canonical text of the fiske other, Old Testament alone or of the essayer os, Old Testament and the New Testament together in various religious traditions, the verses present no insuperable difficulty in this regard. There are three broad headings which seem to darwinism commend themselves in a brief discussion of the implications of chrome Genesis 22,1-18 within the canonical text of the Old Testament: 1) Covenant; 2) Sacrifice; 3) Faith.

Taken together, these three headings provide a convenient way of entering into the text. For a proper understanding of Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac it is crucial to keep in mind the covenant setting of the canonical text. V. 1 states that God is fiske darwinism other essays “testing” (ebr.: nsh , gr.: peirazein ) Abraham. That is to say, God is arranging a test to make discover if his son is darwinism “faithful” (ebr.: n’mn , gr.: pistos ). The text of Genesis 22 is the write essays make, climax of a progression involving call, promise, covenant and oath. The call is found in fiske essays, Genesis 12,1-3, and essayer, consists of elements involving blessings: 1) a blessing which involves a land and nation (vv. 1-2a), 2) a blessing which involves a dynasty (v. 2b), and 3) a blessing which involves the entire world (v. 3 with v. 2).

These three elements seem to correspond to the three covenant episodes presented in Genesis 15, 17 and fiske, 22. In Genesis 15, the episode with the divided animals represents a covenant in which Abraham’s descendants will live as a nation in a particular land. In Genesis 17 the emphasis is on Abraham’s great “name”, i.e., there is question of a dynasty. Write Essays Make! And in Genesis 22,16-18, the climax, there is question of a blessing to all nations. Thus Genesis 22,1-18 can be viewed as the culmination of Abraham’s life as it is portrayed in the canonical text of Scripture. Afterwards he enters into the story only in relation to the death of Sarah (Genesis 23) and the marriage of Isaac (Genesis 24). His definitive life and destiny in terms of his relation with God are outlined in Genesis 22.

The oath sworn by God to Abraham can be considered the concluding high point in the series of covenant episodes. It incorporates, so to speak, the successful outcome of Abraham’s test into the blessing given to all nations, so that Abraham’s faith is now a part of the destiny of his offspring. The context of the covenant in Genesis 22 is fundamental for ascertaining the precise point of the passage. For Abraham is being tested with regard to his faith in God and his pledge to fiske other essays give him the blessings involved in the covenant despite the apparent contradiction of about water crisis his command. Fiske Essays! Further, Abraham must have been aware that this was a test, that he was being faced with a cruel dilemma in which his filial affection was secondary. What was at stake was not only the meaning of his God-centered existence but the meaning of the God-centered existence of Isaac and water, of all who were to be descended from darwinism other essays, him. The command from God to Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, in other words, was a deadly serious affair for Abraham and for chinese-english translation essay God.

That the command of God to Abraham was a serious affair for God as well as for Abraham has perhaps not been sufficiently noted. Fiske Darwinism Other! For in ordering the test God is implicitly endangering the whole enterprise of His covenant with Abraham. In terms of the story, God is mba essay services in india waiting to see the result of Abraham’s free reaction to the test: a refusal by Abraham to sacrifice Isaac would show that Abraham had not passed the test of his faith. Hence the fiske darwinism other, covenant enterprise and everything associated with it would, presumably, collapse, and salvation history would have to take a radically new turn. A second major perspective according to essays make which Genesis 22 should be interpreted is that of sacrifice. Sacrifice here is tied in with the place in which the other essays, action of mba essay writing Genesis 22 occurs. There is ample reason to take the place (“Moriah” [ mryh ] in v. 2) as Jerusalem.

If this is so, then Genesis 22 becomes the basic Old Testament text for the understanding of animal sacrifice as practiced in the temple of Jerusalem. This, in turn, would solve the puzzle as to why so little is said in fiske, the Pentateuch about the meaning of such sacrifice. The principal type of sacrifice indicated in Leviticus and Deuteronomy is the whole burnt offering (ebr.: ‘lh , gr.: holokautôma, holokauston ). This is precisely the type of sacrifice which Abraham is called on to make of Isaac and actually does make of the ram at Genesis 22,2.13. The relevance of sacrifice in the interpretation of Genesis 22 has not always been given the money, importance it should. Fiske Essays! This lack of attention to the dimension of sacrifice distorts the essayer chrome os, interpretation of Genesis 22 which must have guided generations of faithful readers in Israel. Further, this lack of fiske other essays attention distorts the possible relevance which Genesis 22 should have for the modern reader of the canonical text. By showing exactly how sacrifice can have a purchase on human existence as personified in Abraham, Genesis 22 is of crucial importance in the understanding of God’s revelation as contained in the Bible. The perspectives involving covenant and sacrifice indicate the centrality of faith in Abraham’s response to God. Covenant and sacrifice are focused on God as He manifested Himself to Abraham (covenant) and as Abraham replies to God’s command (sacrifice). It is faith that motivates Abraham.

To have faith is to treat God as reliable (ebr.: h’myn , gr.: pisteuein ), to trust Him, to believe that He will faithfully and services, lovingly keep His promises and fiske, honor His obligations. Translation! Because Abraham’s faith was based on his covenant with God, he was aware of what was at stake, and was cognizant not only of what was expected of him (obedience) but what God expected of himself (fulfillment of the promises): Abraham’s faith was a type of knowledge. And it was this knowledge which enabled Abraham to withstand the test God had prepared for him: Abraham knew that God would somehow provide a solution to what, outside the other essays, realm of faith, was an insoluble problem. In other words, Genesis 22,8 (“God will Himself provide a lamb for a burnt offering”) is to be taken not simply as the anxious words of a distraught father to a questioning son, but as an expression of certainty based on faith. In seeking the relevance of Genesis 22 for the reader of today, faith is thus the crucial element. It is this element which provides the basis for the religious significance of the original text for any application of that significance to a world contemporary with a reader of how to write article any time. Hence any attempt to read Genesis 22, if it is to come to grips with the core relevance of the text for the contemporary world, has to be based on fiske darwinism Abraham’s faith. But there are two basic ways in which Abraham’s faith can be approached by the contemporary reader. The reader may so stand with regard to the text that he or she is inside the loop of Abraham’s faith, or outside it. That is to say, the reader may share Abraham’s faith insofar as possible as Abraham lives the events portrayed in write of an article, Genesis 22, or the darwinism essays, reader may be simply an onlooker of the translation, events portrayed.

Right here is the crucial hermeneutical challenge of Genesis 22. There is nothing within the text which will force the reader to opt for a reading in which he incorporates Abraham’s faith into his own life. The stance here has to be dictated by the reader’s own free choice. God’s freedom in calling Abraham and in darwinism essays, putting him to the test and Abraham’s freedom in responding to this call and test are mirrored in the freedom which every reader enjoys before the text as it stands. But this is not something peculiar to Genesis 22; it is a choice which faces every reader of the Bible. It is the peculiar merit of Genesis 22, though, which sets forth the choice in all its starkness. Part II: The Epistle to the Hebrews and Genesis 22. The Epistle to the Hebrews pays particular attention to Genesis 22. This attention can serve as a guide in understanding how the early Christians interpreted this key text in writing in india, their search for understanding the reality of Jesus Christ. A . Hebrews and essays, the Faith of mba essay services in india Abraham.

Hebrews singles out Abraham’s faith in its understanding of Genesis 22: 17 By faith Abraham, in fiske darwinism, the act of being tested, stands as offering Isaac, that is, he attempted to offer up his only son in sacrifice, he who had received the promises, 18 he to essays water whom it had been said that. In Isaac will your seed be named , 19 having concluded that God was able to raise from the dead, and as a result he received Isaac back as a symbol (Hebrews 11,17-19). The text is theologically rich. “Faith” ( pistis ) is highlighted. In Chapter 11 of Hebrews faith is attributed to a variety of Old Testament heroes, and is described in 11,2-3.6. The word “offer [in sacrifice]” is used twice in v. 17. The first use is in the perfect tense ( prosenênochen , “stands as offering”), i.e., Abraham’s sacrificial stance is the chief point of Genesis 22 which the author of Hebrews wishes to choose as the basis for his understanding of the whole text. The second verb is in the imperfect tense ( prosepheren , “attempted to fiske offer”).

This conative imperfect describes how Abraham was “in the os, act of being tested” ( peirazomenos ). The terms of the testing are made clear: he was offering up his “only son” ( monogenê ) as “one who had received the promises” ( ho tas epaggelias anadexamenos ). The promise in question is specified: “he to whom it had been said, ‘In Isaac will your seed be name’” ( pros hon elalêthê hoti en Isaac klêthêsetai soi sperma ). These remarks indicate that the author of Hebrews has read the text of Genesis 22 with care, and has set out the parameters of the test with precision. What follows is a remarkable interpretation of the reasoning behind Abraham’s faith in God: “having concluded that God was able to raise from the dead” ( logisamenos hoti kai ek nekrôn egeirein dunatos ho theos ). The apparently matter-of-fact way in which the author of Hebrews attributes belief in the resurrection from the dead to Abraham should not distract one from essays, realizing the implications of what is being affirmed. First of essays water all, Abraham’s inference would seem to be plausible, given his previous belief in the birth of fiske other Isaac from his own “dead” body and Sarah’s “dead” womb. In view of Abraham’s heroic faith, there is nothing forced or artificial about the essays, exegesis. Darwinism Essays! If God’s promise of offspring through Isaac (v. 18) had to be believed without qualification, and the command to sacrifice Isaac was, for Abraham, required by God, then belief in the resurrection would seem to a possible, indeed, perhaps even the only possible inference. Secondly, the essays money, attribution of belief in resurrection from the dead to Abraham is remarkable. He stands at fiske darwinism essays, the very fountainhead of Old Testament belief and practice, and this belief and practice is traditionally understood as being agnostic with regard to essayer os resurrection from the dead. Here, a Christian writer who had clearly reflected long and deeply on the Old Testament antecedents to his Christian faith clearly states that Abraham believed in other essays, resurrection from the dead.

Thirdly, if Abraham’s interior attitude in sacrificing Isaac is to be understood as being paradigmatic for the interior attitude of all subsequent Old Testament worshippers, this is a startling statement about what the mba essay writing in india, author of Hebrews regards as implicitly standing behind all Old Testament sacrifice. The author of the fiske darwinism other essays, epistle seems to be attributing this attitude, at translation, least implicitly, to all those offering sacrifices in the Old Testament. What seems to be happening in Hebrews 11,19 is that the author of darwinism other Hebrews, guided by his faith in the resurrection of essays crisis Christ (cf. Hebrews 13,20), is extrapolating this belief into the world of Abraham. But the extrapolation is perfectly in keeping with the words of the Old Testament text, i.e., it does no violence to the parameters of the text as it stands. Further, in the context of Abraham’s presumed heroic faith in fiske other, God there is nothing out of character for such a belief on Abraham’s part. The second part of Hebrews 11,19 confirms the view that the author of Hebrews was thinking of the restoration of Isaac with relation to the resurrection of Jesus, for he states that the how to write article, restoration is a “symbol” of the resurrection of Jesus. B . Hebrews and the Oath Sworn to Abraham. Hebrews alludes to the sacrifice of fiske essays Isaac at write essays make money, 6,14 with a citation from the text of Genesis 22,17.

The context of Hebrews is revealing: 13 For God, having made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater to swear by, swore by himself, 14 with the words: With blessing shall I bless you, and with increase shall I increase you. 15 And thus, having endured, did Abraham receive the promise. 16 For men swear by that which is greater; and at the end of every controversy among them comes the oath as a confirmation. 17 Thus God, wishing to show more clearly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable nature of his design, intervened with an fiske darwinism oath. Essays Water! 18 The purpose of the oath was that, through two unchangeable things in which it is impossible that God lie, we have a strong source of comfort, we who have fled, so as to darwinism other lay hold of the how to article, hope before us (Hebrews 6,13-18).

These six verses, Hebrews 6,13-18, are cited to support the exhortation of the author of Hebrews that the addressees show the necessary diligence and concern to imitate the heirs of the promises and receive the promises through faith and endurance. Hence the presence of the introductory “for” in v. Fiske! 16. That Genesis 22 is in the mind of the author of Hebrews is seen, not only from the citation of v. 17 of that chapter at Hebrews 6,14, but also from the allusion to the oath of Genesis 22,16 in Hebrews 6,13. This suggests that for the author of Hebrews the oath has a close relation to the blessing and multiplication of Abraham’s offspring. The precise content of the “two unchangeable things” mentioned in Hebrews 6,18 is much canvassed. The text at Hebrews 6,13-14 would seem to furnish the first step towards an answer: the “two unchangeable things” are the oath of Genesis 22,16 and the promise of Genesis 22,17. They are juxtaposed in Hebrews just as they are juxtaposed in Genesis.

The words of the promise speak for themselves with regard to the content: they have to do with the multiplication of Abraham’s progeny. The oath serves to os reinforce this promise, so that when Abraham receives the promise at the conclusion of his heroic show of patience at the call to sacrifice Isaac (6,15) the promise has been reinforced by an oath. Abraham is thus portrayed as having received the promise. But it is clear from the way the author of darwinism Hebrews uses the verbs epitugchanô (6,15—cfr. 11,33) and komizô that even if Abraham had received epitugchanô (6,15—cfr. 11,33) the the essay question, promise reinforced by an oath, he had not received (komivzw) the thing promised—progeny (cf. 11,13.39). Other! The mind of the author of Hebrews is revealed by the fourth and final use of mba essay services komizô : at 11,19 the author says that Abraham received ( komizô ) Isaac after the attempted sacrifice “as a symbol” ( parabolêi ). In other words, the thing promised to Abraham at the sacrifice of Isaac—progeny—is received only with the coming of Christ: Christ himself is that progeny. If the content of the promise to Abraham is Christ, then the oath sworn to Abraham by God is an oath which at fiske, the most profound level is reduced to a symbolic action foreshadowing the chinese-english essay, definitive granting of the thing promised which is darwinism Christ. Translation! That is why the author of fiske darwinism other essays Hebrews emphasizes the oath sworn by God to Jesus at the moment of His resurrection (cf. 7,20-21).

This is the oath which was foreshadowed by the oath of God at the sacrifice of Isaac and which results in the actual granting of that which was promised in connection with this oath: definitive progeny. Christ is the definitive progeny promised by Abraham, and the oath at Christ’s resurrection is the oath of which the oath to Abraham was a symbolic foreshadowing. By identifying the oath of Psalm 110,4 with the an overview article, fulfillment of the other essays, oath of Genesis 22,16, and by placing the oath in the explicit context of the multiplication of Abraham’s seed, the author of Hebrews has brought about a profound transformation in water, the nature of fiske other this seed. For the true and definitive offspring of Abraham is effected not through his physical child Isaac, but through His spiritual offspring Jesus Christ of whom Isaac was a “symbol” precisely with regard to Jesus’ resurrection (and, in the context of Hebrews, also with regard to the accompanying oath of Psalm 110,4). Write An Overview! The author of Hebrews thinks that this offspring can be best described by evoking the darwinism other essays, Old Testament figure of Melchizedek in the essay question, the context of whom Jesus Christ emerges as the definitive high priest. As the high priest according to the order of Melchizedek Jesus Christ replaces the Levitical high priesthood which had heretofore given identity to Abraham’s descendants (cf. Hebrews 7,11). This new high priest is the Son of fiske darwinism essays God Himself (Hebrews 7,3). He is the source of the definitively better hope which is the cause of the addressees’ encouragement. The one through whom God made the ages (Hebrews 1,2) is the one through whom God definitively blesses and multiplies Abraham’s offspring. Through Christ’s risen priesthood a new people has come into being (cf.

Hebrews 7,12), one coextensive with the entire human race. Through a Son who transcends time, Abraham’s offspring is chinese-english translation extended to all men who have ever lived and who will ever live—to those who existed before Abraham as well as those who existed after him. This is the way the author of Hebrews understands the meaning of Genesis 22,17, with its promise that God will bless and multiply Abraham’s offspring. C . Hebrews and the Relevance of Faith. Just as the reader is darwinism essays faced with the choice of about a hermeneutic when confronted with Genesis 22, so the reader is faced with the fiske darwinism, choice of a hermeneutic when confronted with the interpretation of money Genesis 22 in the Epistle to other the Hebrews. The reader may opt to translation share in the obvious faith the author of Hebrews had in the Christian relevance of Genesis 22, or he may not. That is to say, the reader may opt to be a participant in Christ’s role and in Abraham’s role in Genesis 22 as seen by the author of Hebrews, or he may opt to be a spectator.

Right here is the fiske essays, crucial hermeneutical challenge of chinese-english essay Genesis 22 as presented in Hebrews. Every reader of Hebrews comes to the text with a certain set of presuppositions, just as every reader comes to Genesis with a certain set of presuppositions. And such presuppositions determine in large measure the reader’s choice of a hermeneutic. Darwinism Other Essays! A Christian who lets his Christian faith enter into every facet of his life will identify automatically with the Christian author of Hebrews. For such a believer identification with the faith of Abraham as presented in Genesis 22 will be subsumed into the faith of the author of Hebrews in write an overview of an, the Christ who gives to the story of Genesis 22 a new dimension. According to the interpretation of the author of Hebrews, with the coming of Christ the account in Genesis 22 assumes a more profound meaning: the faith of Abraham becomes a faith in darwinism, the power of God to raise from the dead, and the oath made to Abraham finds its fulfillment in the oath made by God to Jesus at the moment of His resurrection so that His earthly priesthood can become a heavenly priesthood according to the order of Melchizedek, that is, a priesthood which transcends human limitations. One final, crucial truth about the faith of Abraham as seen by the author of Hebrews should be noted: the chinese-english, obedience of Abraham is rewarded by God with the gift of Isaac as symbol of the resurrection of Jesus.

Thus the faith-trust of Abraham enters into the Providence of God in achieving the fiske, role of Christ as high priest for all of humanity. According to Hebrews 11,17-19 Abraham received Isaac back “as a symbol” ( en parabolêi ), that is, he received Isaac is a symbol of the eschatological reality which is the risen Christ. Abraham reasoning is expressed in Hebrews 11,19a: “. . An Overview! . having believed that God was able to raise from the dead”. Then the other essays, text goes on to say, “whence ( hothen ) he received him back as a symbol” (Hebrews 11,19b). In other words, Abraham’s trust (Hebrews 11,17), which leads him to posit belief in God’s ability to raise from the dead (Hebrews 11,19a), is rewarded not only with the gift of Isaac but with the gift of how to an overview of an article Jesus who is prefigured by Isaac.

Since Hebrews 11,17-19 is darwinism other essays found in a section in chrome, which faith is presented as resulting in God’s becoming a “rewarder” ( misthapodothês —cf. Hebrews 11,6), the inference is to fiske darwinism other be made that the supreme gift of the resurrection of Jesus and all that follows from it is in a sense a “reward” for chinese-english translation essay the faithfulness of Abraham who has passed the test imposed by God. Thus the fiske essays, oath of God as the final act of Genesis 22 contains something new for the author of Hebrews: the role of Abraham’s faith enters into the gift of the risen Jesus and hence into all that the risen Jesus implies for humanity, as outlined above. God has taken cognizance of Abraham’s covenant faith and has responded in the language of His own covenant loyalty. And He has done so in a way which was completely unexpected. There is one final step needed to sketch a satisfying hermeneutic of mba essay Genesis 22 and Hebrews: the preconceptions which prompt the Christian believer to believe in a Christian interpretation of Abraham’s faith must be explored.

Part III: The Preconceptions of Christian Belief and Cardinal Newman’s Grammar of Assent. No one approaches any written text without preconceived ideas. And if this is true of any written text in general, all the more so is it true of a religious text such as the Bible. And in fiske, particular it is true of Genesis 22 and the Christian interpretation of Genesis 22 in the Epistle to the Hebrews. It was argued above that the only proper way to approach the interpretation of Genesis 22 is on the basis of its place in the larger context of mba essay writing services Scripture. For the sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham was intended by the author of Genesis 22 to be understood in a much broader context than the darwinism other, text itself. And this broader context takes in chinese-english, such fundamental questions of religious cult and darwinism other, morality that Genesis 22 frequently serves as a focus of discussion on the essay man’s relations with God. Given the fundamental nature of the questions involved in darwinism other essays, Genesis 22, it is impossible that the essayer chrome, reader not approach the text with certain preconceptions. These preconceptions may be of a believer or of a non-believer. But whatever their nature, they are present, and essays, their presence, since it inevitably involves subsequent interpretation of the biblical text, should be taken explicitly into account. It was argued above, in dependence on the basis of a contemporary hermeneutics, that hermeneutical stance is a matter of choice: one chooses one’s approach to a text.

But this choice is essays make money not made in a vacuum of values: one’s preconceptions are inevitably the darwinism other essays, basis for one’s choice of the essay hermeneutical stance. Hence the choice of darwinism essays one’s hermeneutical stance must be investigated in the light of one’s preconceptions. It is in chrome os, this context that it seems appropriate to introduce John Henry Newman’s An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent . The book was finished in January of fiske darwinism 1870. The core insight which enabled Newman to bring the book to a conclusion is the core insight of the book itself—that the act of assent of the human person is not the result of a reflex act which is called certitude, but the act of assent which is the result of a variety of contributing causes working together in what he calls the “illative sense”. The illative sense, for how to write of an Newman, is the personal use of reason about some concrete matter.

He insists on the personal nature of any such use of reason. As authorities for this view he cites Aristotle and Scripture. Given the personal nature of any such use of reason with regard to some concrete reality, the role of conscience in religion is for Newman unavoidable: Our great internal teacher of religion is . . . our Conscience. Conscience is a personal guide, and I use it because I must use myself; I am as little able to darwinism essays think by any mind but my own as to breathe with another’s lungs. Chrome Os! Conscience is nearer to me than any other means of knowledge. The use of the word “knowledge” in the last sentence should be noted: conscience, in matters of religion, is a means of darwinism other essays knowledge. From this it follows that Scripture is not merely a collection of abstract truths, but an authoritative teaching.

And the whole tenor of Scripture from beginning to end is to this effect: the matter of revelation is not a mere collection of truths, not a philosophical view, not a religious sentiment or spirit, not a special morality . . . but an crisis authoritative teaching, which bears witness to itself and keeps itself together as one, in contrast to the assemblage of opinions on fiske essays all sides of it, and speaks to all men, as being ever and everywhere one and the same, and claiming to be received intelligently, by all whom it addresses, as one doctrine, discipline, and devotion directly given from above. This view, of course, is the result of Newman’s own exercise of conscience as a means of knowledge. Chinese-english! He comes to the judgment above about the whole tenor of Scripture as a result, in part, of the personal guidance of his conscience, and to this judgment he gives real assent. And he concludes his book by showing his own reasons for believing in the Catholic Church as God’s providential gift to be accepted by faith, a faith, however, which is associated with an accumulation of probabilities which yield the certitude which results from the fiske darwinism other, legitimate use of the illative sense. The present study began in Part I with a presentation of Genesis 22 with all its attendant challenges to interpretation. Because of its explicit connections to translation covenant and cult, an exegesis was advanced based on the acceptance of that covenant and cult as part of the religious dispensation whose written record is the Old Testament. The proper response to Genesis 22, it was argued, is one of faith mirroring the fiske other essays, faith of Abraham. This interpretation of the propriety of faith was occasioned by the content of Genesis 22, not mandated. It was argued that the acceptance of Genesis 22 in chinese-english, a spirit of faith was the darwinism other essays, result of a hermeneutics of free choice. In Part II an interpretation given to Genesis 22 by the Epistle to the Hebrews was suggested. This interpretation revolved around the faith of Abraham and the oath of God sworn to write essays money Abraham following the successful outcome of fiske his test.

The faith-inspired interpretation given by the author of Hebrews was seen as a function of faith in Jesus Christ. And the propriety of a reading of the text accompanied by the essay faith was proposed. Again, this faith was seen as the darwinism, result of the essay a hermeneutics of free choice. The Old Testament faith of the believing Jew was subsumed into the New Testament faith of the Christian. Finally, in Part III, an attempt was made to ground this hermeneutics of darwinism other essays exegetical choice on a hermeneutics of exegetical preconceptions. John Henry Newman’s A Grammar of Assent was invoked to show that the “illative sense” proposed by the author was a key factor in understanding the preconceptions of a Christian believer (in the essayer os, case of Newman, of the Catholic believer). Because of the importance of conscience in the formation of the preconceptions which underlie the fiske darwinism other essays, Christian’s act of faith, the role of moral choice is evident here as well. Thus, when all is said and done, it is the person who is responsible for the exegetical stance adopted for the interpretation of a given text of Scripture, first with regard to the preconceptions which govern his choice of an exegetical approach to a given text, and then with regard to the choice itself. It is the essay clear that Genesis 22 portrays Abraham as a man of faith; it is clear that the fiske other, Epistle to the Hebrews portrays Abraham in Genesis 22 as a man of faith and presents Jesus Christ as the write make money, fulfillment of that faith.

But whether the exegete will put himself into tune with this faith is fiske a matter of his own choosing, a choosing both remote and proximate. In attributing hermeneutical stance to personal choice one should not neglect the bias built into the biblical text itself: the text itself is an invitation to believe as its authors believe. It is clear from the way Genesis 22 is the essay framed, and from the way that the Epistle to the Hebrews enters into a development of Genesis 22 in terms of Jesus Christ, that the darwinism essays, authors of these texts are believers and have written the text for other believers, actual or potential. The author of Hebrews speaks frequently of how to an overview article “we”, i.e., “we believers” (cf. 1,2; 2,3; 3,6; etc.). He believes, and writes to others who believe.

At the most profound level, these texts call for participation in the faith of those portrayed, not simply a contemplation of that faith. As Kierkegaard remarks about the biblical passage involving the widow’s mite (Mark 12,41-44), acceptance of the story on its own terms, i.e., presupposing the faith of the widow, transforms the gift “into much”. Essays! This faith-challenge is the challenge of Genesis 22 in its Old and New Testament guises as well. . . . Writing Services In India! that sympathetic person who accepts the book and gives to it a good place, that sympathetic person who, by accepting it, does for it through himself and through his acceptance, what the treasury did for the widow’s mites: hallows the gift, gives it significance, and transforms it into much.

Write my essay for me with Professional Academic Writers -
Darwinism and other essays: Fiske, John, 1842-1901: Free

Why does George kill Lennie in Of Mice and Men? In Of Mice and Men , George kills Lennie to spare him from fiske other essays, a painful death at the hands of the mob. When the mba essay writing in india, men on the farm find discover that Lennie has killed Curley’s wife, they set out to find him. Fiske Other Essays? George knows Curley will not care that Lennie’s actions were unintentional and decides to give Lennie a quick and merciful death to write essays make, spare him from the suffering he would endure if left to Curley and darwinism other the other farmhands. George kills Lennie for multiple reasons.

The reason most commonly offered is that George wants to save Lennie from question, being tortured by the pursuing lynch mob. Fiske Darwinism Other? This is chrome, probably valid, but it does not explain why he doesn’t help Lennie escape. Lennie is hiding on the bank of a shallow river. Darwinism Essays? The two men could wade across the river and mba essay climb into the Gabilan Mountains. The lynch mob might never even think. George kills Lennie for fiske multiple reasons. The reason most commonly offered is that George wants to save Lennie from being tortured by the pursuing lynch mob. This is chrome, probably valid, but it does not explain why he doesn’t help Lennie escape. Lennie is hiding on the bank of a shallow river.

The two men could wade across the river and climb into the Gabilan Mountains. Fiske Other Essays? The lynch mob might never even think of looking for chinese-english essay them up there. Even if the fiske, mob finally guessed they had fled into the mountains, George and Lennie would have too much of a head start, and it would soon be getting dark. According to Lennie, the mountains have many caves. A mob would have to search each cave, and in the meantime the mba essay writing, fugitives could be getting farther away. George didn’t intend to help Lennie escape. This is proved conclusively by darwinism other essays, the fact that he stole Carlson’s Luger from under his bunk at essayer os the ranch. He intended to kill Lennie as painlessly as possible, just as he had seen Carlson kill Candy's dog with a single shot. When George saw the fiske darwinism other, body of Curley’s wife in the barn, he assumed, like all the other men, that Lennie had tried to rape her and had unintentionally killed her while they were struggling.

George realizes that Lennie is becoming a menace to about water, society and that he would probably kill other girls if allowed to live in freedom. This is the first time Lennie has killed a human being (although he has killed lots of animals). George is in some danger of being charged as an accessory to second-degree homicide. Fiske Darwinism? He told Lennie where to hide if he got into trouble. If he tried to help his friend escape, he would definitely be an accessory to murder. George is also potentially in double-trouble. Curley suspects him of chinese-english essay, helping Lennie escape and telling him where to go. Darwinism Other? The police could arrest George just because he was a friend of Lennie and was responsible for write an overview Lennie's behavior. If they couldn't catch Lennie they might turn on fiske darwinism, George--either the lynch mob or the police, or both. After all, George was not responsible for chinese-english what Lennie did in the town of Weed, and fiske darwinism other essays yet George's life was equally in jeopardy. George is getting fed up with being tied to an irresponsible man who could get him killed.

Many of us have had the experience of deciding to break off relations with a friend who keeps causing us trouble. Of An? There are plenty of fiske other essays, such people! George feels guilty for the death of Curley’s wife. In fact, he really is guilty because he brought Lennie to that ranch and the girl would still be alive if he hadn’t brought Lennie there. He is Lennie’s caretaker. He is responsible for any kind of trouble Lennie gets into—and he is beginning to realize that Lennie is growing into more of a problem than he is competent to handle. George wants to rid himself of chinese-english translation, a big burden. He can’t handle the stress anymore.

When he kills Lennie with the Luger he has mixed feelings, which include pity, sorrow, and remorse, but also a vast relief. Darwinism Essays? He frequently abuses Lennie verbally, telling the childish giant that he could enjoy a much happier life if only he were free of him. Lennie is a burden because he is always getting into trouble and also because he has to be watched all the time. Lennie has caused George to about crisis, lose jobs, and jobs are hard to come by. Lennie almost got both of them lynched by assaulting a girl in Weed. George is angry at fiske other essays Lennie. He feels sorry for Curley’s dead wife. She was just a dumb girl. She should have had a chance to live out her whole life and not have it snuffed out the way Lennie had killed his puppy and so many other small animals. Question? George kills Lennie for darwinism the same reason that the translation, lynch mob wants to kill him. George is really fed up with his companion.

George can’t turn Lennie over to the authorities with the hope that they would put him in fiske other an asylum. He doesn’t have the power to determine Lennie’s fate. If he could manage to get Lennie arrested rather than lynched, the authorities would be likely to chinese-english translation, charge Lennie with murder. Fiske Other? There would be plenty of evidence that he had killed Curley’s wife, and there would be plenty of mba essay writing services in india, witnesses to fiske darwinism other essays, testify that he was guilty. The motive would be attempted rape. Nobody saw what happened in the barn. Lennie would be incapable of defending himself, and essays make he wouldn’t have much of a defense anyway. He wouldn’t let go of the girl, she started screaming and fiske darwinism other struggling, and he killed her. The Essay Question? Lennie is showing many signs of rebelling against George’s control. He lies to darwinism essays, George, threatens to run away and live by himself, doesn’t follow George’s instructions, sometimes deliberately disobeys. The Essay Question? (For example, George told him to fiske other, have nothing to do with Curley’s wife.) George may be a little bit afraid of Lennie, and with good reason. A time might come when Lennie might “accidentally” kill his keeper.

Steinbeck was a realist. His characters are not all good or all bad. George shows his good side by looking after Lennie for a long time. He shows his darker side by verbally abusing Lennie, by wanting to be rid of him, and finally by essayer chrome, executing him. Fiske? Lennie himself seems like a gentle, likeable character—except that he kills everything he touches, including his little puppy.

Lennie is developing an interest in sex, and because of his feeble mind and giant strength he is write money, potentially a monster who needs to be destroyed. Slim is probably the fiske darwinism essays, most faultless character in the story, but he is a member of the question, lynch mob. He wouldn’t be present at the ending if he hadn’t come along with the mob. And there is no indication that he had any intention of giving Lennie any kind of help. There seems to be a correlation between Carlson's shooting Candy's old dog and fiske George shooting Lennie. Steinbeck planned to have George kill Lennie--but he had to have a gun. The episode with Carlson shooting the dog serves a dual purpose. Article? It establishes that Carlson owns a gun, a Luger pistol. Steinbeck devotes a whole paragraph and some additional exposition to describing what Carlson does with it after shooting the dog and returning to the bunkhouse. Finally: Carlson finished the cleaning of the other essays, gun and put it in the bag and essays about crisis pushed the fiske darwinism other, bag under his bunk.

This is what in Hollywood parlance is called a plant. It establishes that there is a gun available and the essay question that George knows exactly where it is. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays? He has also seen Carlson working the mechanism of this foreign handgun, so he will understand how to inject a cartridge into the chamber. Write Make Money? George, of course, does not plan to shoot Lennie at that time, but he will remember that Luger when he makes the decision to kill his friend. The whole description of fiske darwinism other essays, Carlson's Luger can be considered foreshadowing.

The reader senses that the gun will appear again somewhere in the story. George kills Lennie by shooting him in the back of the head to save him from a more painful death at the hands of Curley, who has vowed to make him suffer for the death of chinese-english translation essay, his wife. George loves his friend Lennie, whom he has looked after faithfully, and he doesn't want Lennie to die horribly, especially since Lennie has unwittingly taken the life of fiske, Curley's wife in much the same way as he petted the puppy too hard or squeezed the mice to death. Lennie didn't know his own strength. When Curley's wife screamed, he didn't know how to make her stop except to do what he did, but he did not intend to kill her. Curley, of course, is also looking for a way to achieve revenge for Lennie's crushing his hand, so he will definitely try to kill Lennie in the most cruel way possible. He says he will gut shoot him. George must save his friend by chinese-english, a mercy killing. Here is a video summary of the novella: In of mice and other men, we must register the number of cycles that can be perceived.

The reader may ask himself, why did George kill Lennie now and question not run away like they did in Weed? However, the other essays, reader is essayer, not so sure anymore about what really happened in Weed. This is a style technique Steinbeck uses which is to force the other essays, reader to reflect. George knows that if they go to another ranch, the same thing will happen again and again (referring to the cycles). Therefore, George not only killed Lennie out of mercy but also because he knows that they will never attain their dream and that he would rather kill Lennie at a moment when he was at peace and happy then risk another time. first of all, when Carlson killed candys dog, he was upset regretted letting carlson do it. So when George knew that Lennie was going to die, he felt that it would be better if he did it himself. This way, he wouldn't have the burden that he just let lennie get shot.

I believe that George shot him in the back of the head to essayer chrome os, make it a painless death refering to when Carlson was explaining that if he shot Candy's dog in the back of the head he wouldn't feel it at all.. Fiske Darwinism Essays? As for why he did it.. How To An Overview Of An? He thought that it would be better for him (George) His best friend should do it rather than being Curley or one of the fiske darwinism other, others. He kills him out of love. Since Lennie accidentally killed Curley's wife, George knows that there is no way to save him now. Even if they do escape, Lennie will never be safe because he just doesn't know how to avoid getting into trouble. Furthermore, if Curley gets his hands on Lennie, he will make his revenge be slow, terrifying, and mba essay services in india painful.

Therefore, George knows that the only way to protect Lennie is to shoot him. George's choice of fiske, shooting Lennie in the back of the the essay question, head (behind the ear) is a direct link to the shooting of Curley's dog earlier in the book. It is stated by Carlton that placing the bullet behind the ear is quick and painless. When Candy joins up with George and fiske darwinism essays Lennie later, he states that he should have killed his dog instead of letting a stranger do it. All of this contributes to why and about crisis how George kills Lennie: to protect him from pain and other out of being close to him (i.e. out of love). I bieleieve George killed Lennie because he knew that Lennie would do the same wherever he went and forseeing this before getting to the ranch george asked lennie to hide in the brush if anything wrong happens and so he mercy killed Lennie before the matter gets worse. george killed lennie because he loved his friend. The Essay? he doesn't want him to be tortured and then die. he knew that he didnt kill curely's wife on darwinism other essays, purpose but he couldn't help it. he didn't know how much strength he has in himself. alsolennie died peacefully. To save him froa more panifull and brutall death. as a friend who is loyal and protective goerge kills lennie to make death easier for him.

This is the ultimate sacrifice George made for a friend. Their long abiding friendship is depicted throughout the book. Chrome Os? Even in the face of cruelty by others to Lennie, George tries to help his friend. The era is one of survival and this friendship is shown against this background. George protects his friend by shootog him and saving him from the torture of others.

This is much like the kindness we show animals. George decides to kill Lennie because it was the only way left. Fiske Other? If George did not kill Lennie then Curley would kill Lennie in a very cruel way. Also, even if George and the essay question Lennie decides to run away, George believes that Lennie will still cause trouble again (because that's what happened before before they moved there ). So his choice of killing Lennie was believing that it was the best for Lennie. I think that George is completely justified, as even if they ran away, curley could hand their descriptions to the police.

George committed an act of other, 'euthanasia' out of write essays make money, love for fiske other essays Lennie. George killed Lennie because Lennie killed Curley's wife and George didn't want Lennie to suffer when Curley finds him so he kills him instead. In John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men ,Lennie is how to write an overview article, a mentally challenged and strong migrant worker who travels with George, his smart friend. When the body of Curley’s wife was found at other their new place of work, everyone knew Lennie had done it. Curley and the other men went to find, lynch, and kill Lennie. George knew that Lennie was by the pond and he went there told Lennie to look to the hills and translation imagine their farm.

While Lennie was looking away George gave the final blow. George had the opportunity to run away with Lennie, but chose instead to kill him. Fiske Darwinism Essays? The reason for this was to make sure that Lennie died happy. Lennie would soon be found, punished, and killed by the other men so George had to make the decision to essayer os, end Lennie quickly. Darwinism Essays? If George and the essay Lennie had run away, this would keep happening to the point where Lennie would face a gruesome end. The reader knows this because Lennie had done the fiske other essays, same with a woman’s red dress and the puppy.

So George was faced with the question of mba essay in india, letting Lennie have a long life of suffering or a short life of happiness. George made the right decision to let Lennie die dreaming about fiske essays his farm. Like Candy’s dog, Lennie was beginning to the essay question, hurt himself and it would be cruel to let him suffer more. Candy’s dog hurt itself every time it moved and Lennie began to torture himself emotionally when he saw the hallucinations of his aunt and the bunny. George knew that Lennie would just go on unintentionally hurting other people and himself. George made the darwinism essays, right decision in putting Lennie down. However, he had to live with his decision for his entire life.

In the end George became one of “the men” that he always told Lennie they were different from. Lennie was already being looked for since he killed curly's wife by mistake. Essayer Chrome Os? If George didn't kill him someone else would've ended up killing him. Darwinism Other Essays? I don't think it was a justified death, I thought it would be a good idea if George and Lennie would've just keep wandering as they normally do. Yes. Chinese-english Translation? In the fiske darwinism, finest sense, it was mercy killing.

This is for George to never live to the moment when Lennie dies at the hands of Curley in the most merciless sense. George sympathizes with Lennie as he never gets a good grip on his strength and does not want him to water crisis, suffer such a painful and wrongful death. George killed Lennie because he loved him. Fiske Essays? He felt that it was better for himself to kill him than any other person. He killed him to save him! George always looked out for Lennie and in the end, when everyone is looking for Lennie and George is 'leading the the essay, way. He wanted it to be him that killed him, as for he would've done it quick. Fiske Essays? However if he let him live, the other men would've found him, and probably would've killed him with less mercy. He would've had to watch his best friend get killed. Here is an exerpt from my essay. This is my paragraph telling why Lennie had to die.

Last but certainly not least, is how to, how Lennie dying is justifiable. Though some may try to argue if they got away from a lynch party before, they can do it again and there's no reason Lennie had to die. What's being completely overlooked in that argument is the fact that in Weed, Lennie only grabbed a lady's dress whereas now, he killed a woman. At this point, we've proven Lennie cannot only kill a mouse with his bare hands, he can kill a newborn puppy with almost no effort. This only foreshadows the death of Curley's wife as does the phrase, “she's trouble,” which is stated in varying fashions by fiske darwinism other, multiple men. With the death of Curley's wife and the small animals, we are shown how easily Lennie can kill without even trying.

That alone gives plenty of chinese-english, reason as to why they cannot just run away like they did in Weed. Also, when Crooks is taunting Lennie and teasing him about George not coming back, he tells him, “Want me to tell ya what'll happen? They'll take ya to the booby hatch. Fiske Darwinism Essays? They'll tie ya up with a collar, like a dog” (72). As it's common knowledge, that is no way for essayer a human to fiske other, be treated. The last thing that justifies Lennie's death, is when one ponders the about, idea of the darwinism essays, guys actually getting the chinese-english translation essay, ranch. As previously stated, Lennie has no problem killing small animals and even people. If one were to imagine Lennie on a ranch with a bunch of animals, especially with small ones like rabbits, no matter how Candy crunched the numbers, there would be no way they could make profit off of the rabbits given the projected amount of rabbits Lennie would kill.

That's just pretending getting the ranch was even an fiske, attainable goal in the first place. “I think I knowed from the the essay question, very first. I think I knowed we'd never do her. He usta like to hear about it so much I got to fiske other essays, thinking maybe we would” (94), states George who, after Lennie's death, realizes there really was no chance of them getting the ranch. Because lennie was ill fitted to be alive and it was best for him to die. georhe kills lennie form the torture he would get and refering to slims puppy when he said i should of killed him to water crisis, save him from the darwinism essays, disease he was suffering. George killed Lennie to how to an overview article, save him the torture that he was going to get. Because the essays, other men was going to kill him for killing the young woman. he kills lennie because he loves him. He doesnt betray him.

He is how to write an overview of an, saving lennie from a painful horrendous death by curley. George knows that lennie killed her accident but he know lennie will keep getting into trouble and will keep getting hurt. when lennie asks, when can we go there (in reference to the place with rabbits) george says they can go there now. He isnt lying. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays? He is sending lennie to a place where he will he happy. George deeply regretted killing his dearly beloved friend Lennie, although the thing is George didn't have a choice. Since George volunteered to kill Lennie, if he didn't, he (George) would just get shot by essays about water, Curley as well, resulting in both George and Lennie's death. Then an answer for darwinism essays the 'why didn't they run away like in Weed?' question. If you actually noticed, everyone (excluding Candy) was in a brush behind George and Lennie, so that way, even if they made an attempt to run, there's two ways it could conclude. The obvious one is that Curley and water crisis Carlson (since he has Crooks' gun) would gun them both down. Then the other is that if George said 'run' to Lennie, Lennie's reaction would most probably be bewildered and then Lennie would have asked George 'why?' giving again, the darwinism other, chance for write essays Curley and Carlson to fiske darwinism other, shoot them both.

Now something different. In 1942, John Steinbeck revealed that he would have made Lennie survive and make Slim suddenly grab Carlson's/Crooks' gun and shoot everyone but George and Lennie and he would have made their 'American Dream' come true. Sadly it was too late as the book was already published. Giving his (John Steinbeck's) famous quote Not everyone can survive friendship Thank you. I believe that George killed Lennie because it was the way for Lennie to endure the least suffering. Curley was talking about shooting him in the essay question the stomach with a shotgun, quite a painful death.

George thought that there was no way for them to escape them, and so it was almost already decided that Lennie would die. He could be shot in fiske darwinism other the belly, lynched, or painlessly shot in the back of the head. That was the way George thought was best for his best friend, and so he shot him. We know that he was not trying to kill him like the rest of the ranch-hands, because he killed Curley's wife, for translation he told Lennie the story of the farm that they would get, so that Lennie would be in fiske a good place when he died, not scared or in pain. George did a hard thing, although it was the right thing.

If I was in this situation I hope that I could be the in india, friend George was and essays end Lennie's life mercifully. since lennie killed cyrleys wife lennie and the rest of the ranch decide that lennie should be killed in the most cruelest way.

Buy Essays Online from Successful Essay -
Darwinism and other essays,: Amazon co uk: John Fiske: Books

15 Free File Copy Tools Tested for fiske the Fastest Transfer Speeds. Most of us know that it is possible to perform folder and file copy or move operations in Windows by either using your mouse to essays about water copy and paste, drag and fiske, drop or by using a number of keyboard shortcuts. Obviously the single biggest factor affecting the speed of any transfer is what medium you#8217;re copying from or to such as hard drives, SSD#8217;s, USB sticks, network etc. Another factor is how Windows itself deals with these operations, and all versions of translation essay, Windows have never been quite as efficient at it as they could be. Darwinism Other Essays? With this in mind, it is entirely possible to how to write an overview shorten the duration of any copying or moving of files if you use a piece of third party software to take over operations instead of relying on the Windows built-in function. Not only can this help the speed of transfers, but you can also get other benefits like better information, queuing copies, pausing, skipping, and dealing with problematic files far better than what Windows does. Fiske Darwinism? We were curious to writing services find out just how fast some of these programs actually are when copying and moving files around in Windows, so have gathered together 15 freeware tools to have a closer look. A few simple tests were carried out to try and fiske darwinism other, determine which file copying tools are the mba essay in india, fastest at essays performing file transfers in a few different real world scenarios. To try and cover some common file copy operations, 3 tests were conducted;

Test 1: Copy a number of small to medium files from one HDD to another. 4GB totaling 24,185 files / 6193 folders with sizes of a few bytes to 320MB. Test 2: Copy 2 large files using the same source and destination as test 1. 2x Windows 8 ISO#8217;s (x86 and x64) totaling 5.8GB. Test 3: Copy over chrome a 10/100 LAN network to the same destination as tests 1 and 2. 450MB totaling 5665 files / 723 folders with sizes of a few bytes to 320MB. The source drive was a 10,000 RPM WD Raptor and the destination was a standard 7200 RPM SATA drive, both defragged. Fiske Other? All the 3rd party software was run using their default transfer settings on a clean and fully updated install of Windows 7 64-bit.

Each test was run twice and an average of the times was taken. Essay? If you want to jump straight to the results table and a summary of the essays, findings about how to of an who performed best and worst, they can be found on page 2. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays? Copy Handler is a tool that while it sits in your system tray, can take over the file copying operations from Windows or monitor the clipboard for files. During a copy a small and simple window will appear with basic details, double clicking will give you the full window with a wealth of stats and past / present operations. There#8217;s a number of pause and resume buttons, context menu entries can be added and an options window to configure most areas of the program. Write Essays Make? Multiple file copy test 1: 154 seconds.

ISO copy test 2: 141 seconds. Network copy test 3: 98 seconds. There are 2 different version of ExtremeCopy, the standard free one and the full shareware version. Functions such as copy or collision options, window position, failed file recovery and the buffer size are disabled in the free version, but you can still integrate it into darwinism other Explorer to take over essays crisis the standard Windows file copy functions. Fiske Darwinism Essays? Pause, skip and verify are also present. A small options window pops out from the copy dialog using the the essay, arrow in the top left. Fiske Darwinism Other? For the USB stick a slightly older portable version is also available. Multiple file copy test 1: 111 seconds.

ISO copy test 2: 86 seconds. Network copy test 3: 262 seconds. FastCopy is a tool that#8217;s been recommended by a lot of people over chrome os the years because it#8217;s a simple and yet incredibly fast file copier. There are a number of fiske other, buffer options to how to write article tweak the performance even further, basic or advanced file filters, an NSA method wipe and delete option, verify and copy / sync / differential / overwrite copy modes. It also has several options for adding context menu entries and extensive command line options, although something missing is a pause or skip button. Watch out for the weird uninstaller where you have to fiske other rerun the setup exe. Multiple file copy test 1: 110 seconds. How To An Overview Of An Article? ISO copy test 2: 86 seconds.

Network copy test 3: 79 seconds. FF Copy is relatively simple copying tool where you select or drag and fiske darwinism other essays, drop multiple selections of essays make money, files and folders onto the window and they will be copied or moved to the destination you select from the button or drop down. There are no other options to speak of and this tool probably functions best when you want to other quickly send files from multiple locations to several different folders and then let it process them. Multiple file copy test 1: 163 seconds. ISO copy test 2: 86 seconds. Question? Network copy test 3: Refused to copy the folder, gave an error every time. Fiske Darwinism Essays? KillCopy is a copy tool that doesn#8217;t look too great out of the box and the theme below called #8220;Standart#8221; was about the best built into write essays money the program. There are some downloadable themes from the website but they aren#8217;t that great either. The program itself has several useful features such auto resuming after a system crash, parallel copy mode and several boosting and buffer settings to try and eek out that extra few MB/s. KillCopy can place copy and move entries onto the context menu and can also be setup to be the default copy handler replacing Explorer.

Multiple file copy test 1: 131 seconds. Darwinism? ISO copy test 2: 88 seconds. Network copy test 3: 78 seconds. In India? This copying tool is a little different than the fiske other, others here because it was written in the essay, Java meaning there are different versions for fiske darwinism Windows, Linux and translation, Mac OSX, although this does make for a hefty 20MB installer. The program is similar in looks to SuperCopier but adding files and folders is fiske darwinism, done entirely by dropping them onto mba essay services, the red basket in the program#8217;s window. When you#8217;re ready to copy, drop the destination folder onto fiske darwinism other essays, the right icon and the process will begin.

Standard pause and essays, skip buttons are available. Fiske Darwinism Other? Multiple file copy test 1: 166 seconds. ISO copy test 2: 89 seconds. Network copy test 3: 130 seconds. NiceCopier does actually live up to its name and is quite a nice looking tool and make, will show you either a small progress window in a corner of the desktop or expand to a full dialog window where you can alter the other, transfer speed and edit the chrome os, files list including any ignore / replace / rename options that need to be configured. NiceCopier will take over Windows file operations while it#8217;s running in the system tray and while there#8217;s a lot of information in the dialog windows, it#8217;s all relevant and fiske darwinism essays, well laid out. A large window will alert you to any file collisions etc.

Multiple file copy test 1: 147 seconds. ISO copy test 2: 87 seconds. Network copy test 3: 129 seconds. PerigeeCopy has several useful functions built in such as replacing Explorer for default file operations, using or ignoring the recycle bin when deleting files, leaving errors until the end of the copy process and 6 different overwrite options. The main copy dialog is quite informative but there are no extra features like pause, queue or skip for that extra bit of control. Multiple file copy test 1: 186 seconds.

ISO copy test 2: 89 seconds. Water Crisis? Network copy test 3: 101 seconds. File copy tools 9 15 and fiske other essays, the results/summary are on page 2. linux live distros can read the windows file system if you boot your computer with a live linux cd and copy/move files from one disk to another o disk to writing services usb memory it#8217;s the fastest way to do so most of the time cuts time in half doing the fiske other, operation , dont ask me why , i just found out becuase i had to get some data out of a disk that had windows on it and the machine wasnt able to how to an overview boot up so i tried this method and fiske, voila!#8230;i found the best way to copy or move data the fastest way and the time remaining window that appears is essays make, about 90 to a 100% accurate on the estimated time for fiske darwinism the whole operation , this ..all based on a good state phisical drive not corrupted files of coursetry it out and mba essay services in india, see what i mean. total commander is fiske, more fast than fast copy and how to write an overview article, teracopy. opus, freecommander, salamander, xyplorer, ___other commanders etc#8230;. Fiske? These are all dedicated copying tools, not just any program that can copy a file from chrome os one place to another. Hundreds of darwinism other essays, applications do that. It#8217;s also for free tools, some of what you mention is paid software. but teracopy is paid software, or not? all we want is speed when copiing files, which program we use is important, why restrict only to pure filetranfers.

I know that the review will be very big, but slow programs can be excluded. sorry for my english. Teracopy has free and paid versions. Export reports, edit file lists and commercial usage are the Pro features which you can very easily do without. Adding the dozens of files managers and other tools (even just the essays, free ones) is far too big a task and fiske darwinism other, probably a separate thing. This article is and chinese-english essay, will continue to be for fiske darwinism essays free dedicated copying tools only. Best copier is Total Copier. Over a year ago I was looking for how to write an overview of an a tool to copy numerous large files files on a scheduled weekly basis (for example: 3,000 files averaging 2.0GB each for a total of fiske other essays, 6TB) over a 1Gb network from how to a SAN to a NAS. I#8217;ve tried most of the top-tier freebies out there (FastCopy, RichCopy, TeraCopy) but none of darwinism other essays, them perform more efficiently and effectively like good ol#8217; ROBOCOPY (with the multi-thread switch) batch file and Scheduled Tasks. Here is an write money example of my CL: robocopy /MT Source Destination FILENAME*.* /E /MAXAGE:4 /FFT /Z /XA:H /R:100 /W:5 /V /NP /TEE /LOG+:C:BACKUPLOGSDAILY_LOG.txt.

Here are the stats from a recent job (if my math is correct, that is 3.6GB/min) Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras. Dirs : 2 0 2 0 0 0. Files : 121 57 64 0 0 0. Bytes : 228.417 g 113.876 g 114.540 g 0 0 0. Times : 3:35:28 0:30:45 0:00:00 0:06:24. Ended : Sun May 07 10:16:04 2017. I#8217;d appreciate any feedback if you have any real-world testing on other faster utilities like those mentioned above. we use robocopy in large infrastructure to move user data between regions e.g. from APAC to fiske essays EMEA. Mba Essay Services? Microsoft also have more user friendly Robocoopy with Graphic Interface, called Robocopy GUI.

ALso on Technet ( Microsoft) page some notes, where they refer to use RichCopy instead of Robocopy. Fiske Darwinism Other? Wish you made a functional test too, still today programs have issues with funny characters, links, deeply nested folders etc. Make a test folder tree which includes everything, all kinds of the essay, characters in various character sets, file symbolic links, directory symbolic links, hard links, directory junctions. Both locally and over the network. Now that would be one very useful test. SEVERAL of the programs listed here will fail to fiske darwinism other essays reproduce the original folder tree faithfully! I know from bitter experience. Essayer? Richcopy is fiske darwinism essays, not seeing my Network. I click on the plus sign next to it, and the plus sign disappears but doesn#8217;t show anything on my network.

Running Windows 10. Any ideas? You should run your tests with esentutl. E.g.: esentutl /y #8220;sourcefile.ext#8221; /d #8220;destinationfile.ext#8221; /o. For copying over the network, I#8217;ve found it extremely fast.

Does FastCopy replace Windows#8217; native copier when doing a drag drop copy/move inside Windows Explorer? No it does not, something like TeraCopy can replace the Windows copy handler, FastCopy cannot. Thanks for this, a great and thorough comparison. I guess all things considered Windows 7#8217;s native copier was my favourite. Of An? I always install Teracopy but it freezes so often and crashes out fiske darwinism essays entirely extremely frequently. But the write make money, newer betas and the older stable.. I use it as a backup but could never depend on fiske darwinism other essays, it primarily. I love the look of Windows 8#8217;s copier, but it too also just randomly stop copying a lot. the transfer speed with just slowly reduce to 0 and question, never error out or resume. Even pausing/unpausing fails.

Honestly for darwinism other essays any important copy I just use commandline these days. It#8217;s ugly and annoying but using copy, xcopy or robocopy depending on the situation pretty much never fails. I really wish Microsoft would just acquire the teracopy guys and make a clean, more reliable filecopy that don#8217;t hang frequently, and handled deeply nested folders. Oh can I just add, if you ever find yourself wanting to copy files from damaged or unreliable CDs/DVDs, I spent ages trying and testing the various file copiers listed here, as well as cd recovery dedicated programs, and chrome, the most reliable and dependable one I found was Roadkil#8217;s Unstoppable Copier. Hopefully that saves someone some headache. Fiske Darwinism Other? Apparently TeraCopy#8217;s #8220;Out of Memory#8221; bug is in version 2.3, not 2.27 (the version reviewed here. Also, version 2.3 beta 2 is okay. It#8217;s available on the developers website. It would help if this information were made more public so users don#8217;t waste many hours creating a backup only to find it has failed. Write An Overview Article? Have used TeraCopy for a few years but today it failed with #8220;Out of fiske other essays, Memory#8221; on a 260 Gb job. Tried FastCopy and chinese-english translation, it blitzed it.

Still, I do prefer the TeraCopy GUI and its ability to ignore the other essays, 255 character limit. I also like the CRC check-sum comparison being displayed during verification. I had a quick look at the developers website. The blog has progress notes on version 3 (still in alpha). One of its features will be: Unlimited number of crisis, files, the darwinism other essays, internal file list stored on disk instead of memory. So I#8217;m guessing the essayer, current version stores the file list in memory and thus eventually just run out of space. Does anyone have any better information regarding TeraCopy failing with #8220;out of memory#8221;? My team has migrated 100#8217;s of TB from fiske darwinism other essays server-based storage to NAS storage. Of An Article? We use RichCopy/Robocopy to fiske essays do that because it is extremely fast, reliable and recoverable.

When using RichCopy, you need to tune it by the essay, adding threads. While it supports multi-threading, the default is 1 thread. I am running a copy right now using 10 threads. Surely, the hardware is the bottleneck and I/O is mostly waiting for something to get done. Multi-threading really makes the difference. I have i7 with 8gb ram but it takes like 2 days or so to transfer 1tb of darwinism other, data, tried with super copier and teracopy. CPU and RAM speeds really aren#8217;t going to chrome os make a massive difference to file transfer speeds, it#8217;s the speed of the devices you are copying from and to that are far more important. All these programs were not able to other copy 26.45 GB of files to my external harddrive in less than 1Hour 30 minutes.

Atleast iOrbit#8217;s PCtransfer did it in 20 minutes, still to much time because I had actually downloaded 120 GB sized games but did not have the time to transfer them to question my external so they got deleted as I use the on campus cyberlabs to download. I am assuming you have included the time it has taken you to other essays select all your files to backup in that 1 hour 30 minutes? IObit PCTransfer is a personal settings and files backup and restore tool and services in india, is no quicker at fiske essays simple copying than anything else. It#8217;s simply not possible for essayer os it to be nearly 5x faster at copying files than every other tool out there. copying Data to other essays an External Drive over essays make money USB 2.0 always takes lot of time#8230;. instead you could use a compatible Ext. HDD on USB3 interface or a eSata speeds will be 10 times faster !! HDDs generally have a #8220;maximum sustainable transfer rate) around 190 MB/s about fiske other double USB 2.0 transfer rate. So ensuring a highspeed bus like USB 3.0 or eSata only make money doubles your throughput (though SSDs max out at 6 Gb/s same as USB 3.0) I have over 300 external HDDs which i have to regularly have to update for our clients. With over 500GB of mp3 files this takes some time so any speeding up of this would be great. I have 2 windows 8 machines but they seem incapable of handing copying 2 drives at once and the speeds i get are very disappointing (around 40MB/sec). Would i be best to go with something like these programs tested or is other essays, there a better machine that could handle copying 2 HDDs at once at good speeds? Look more at OS tweak.

At level application it#8217;s hardly possible to do that#8217;s. Just gave Teracopy a go based on the reviews found here and elsewhere. Chrome Os? Tried to transfer 730 GB of music files on fiske other essays, a computer with 8 GB of the essay, ram, but the program crashed about 3/4 of the way through with a #8220;out of memory#8221; error LOL. Fiske Darwinism? Click, delete, goodbye. Question? Back to the boring yet reliable Windoze copy dialog, I guess. I have some problem on Teracopy#8217;s speed in transfer file using USB 3.0 copying file from darwinism other Drive 1 to chinese-english Drive 2. Darwinism? I use i7 with 16G ram so it should not be hardware problem. Version I used is 2.3#8242; have not tried 3.0 Alfa yet. I suppose it depends what speed your USB 3 devices are and whether Teracopy is working slower than Windows or other file copy tools you may have tried. Although Teracopy may be at fault, my personal experience is thet Intel implementation of how to article, ALL versions of USB sucks big time. BTW AMD is even worse. Only way to reliably use USB ports is to have either VIA or NEC controller.

The Seagate drive that my 7 year old VIA C3 based mini-itx Jetway motherboard can handle 24/7 without any disconnection won#8217;t run without interruption even for an hour on Intel motherboard. Thank you very much !! :) Try another free portable file copier software Exshail CopyCare from below site. Main feature is fiske darwinism other essays, Preview list of files before copying with seven options below. Of An? 1. #8220;Source Target Copy Files New and changed from Source#8221; 2. Darwinism Other? #8220;Source Target Copy Files New From Source#8221; 3. #8220;Source Target Copy Files Changed from Source#8221; 4. How To? #8220;Target Source Copy Files Changed from Target#8221; 5. #8220;Target Source Copy Files having Size Difference#8221; 6. Darwinism Essays? #8220;Delete Files Orphan from Target#8221; 7. #8220;Source = Target Copy Exact to chrome Target Overwrite All (Delete Orphans from fiske essays Target)#8221; Like the other copier, at least Supercopier/Ultracopier do that#8217;s with the how to write an overview of an article, correct options. Try another free portable file copier software Exshail CopyCare from below page. Hi, what is the name of software, that screenshot is at the top of the darwinism other essays, article? If you#8217;re talking about the one that says 95% complete, that is water, Windows 8#8217;s copy dialog. FastCopy does have a pause function, while transferring files, there#8217;s a speed slider that you#8217;ve to drag all the fiske darwinism other, way to the left, to pause the write article, transfer. Keepinh the slider in between reduces the speed to a fractions/percentages of the full speeds. How can you ignore tera copy . We haven#8217;t ignored Teracopy, you#8217;ve ignored page 2 of the article which includes Teracopy and all the test results#8230;.!

Good test. But always check if the other, result at the destination is the same in respect of the dates/times for files and folders. Some just write the actual values to the destination and not the write of an article, data of the source. Other Essays? Great Article. Not long ago I had to do some large file transfers. I tried several tools, but most gave inconsistent results. I finally settled on RichCopy 4.0 which worked perfectly.

However, I did notice that for disk to disk local copies I had much better performance with only 1 thread and increasing the essays make, cache size, but not to the max. I was wondering if you used standard program settings for the procedures or if you tried optimizing the settings to improve performance. I tested Fastcopy and fiske, it is essayer chrome, extreme faster then windows. You did not include teracopy which is the best for me. You haven#8217;t looked at darwinism essays page 2, Teracopy, the essay, summary and fiske other essays, another 6 tools on the next page#8230;. Thanks to reviwer for os sharing this. Reliability is more imporntant to me. You copied many files very quickly and deleted the original files. Fiske Darwinism? But#8230; if copied data is broken or loss, what the#8230;.

Yeah, I got the horrible memories(twice) like that. Chinese-english Translation? For 5 years I#8217;ve used Fastcopy, because it can verify the fiske darwinism essays, file by MD5 or SHA in one task.(handy) I#8217;ve tested other copy utils. not all 15s. Terracopy#8230; only CRC in copying, after copy job, you can check with MD5(unhandy) SuperCopier #8230; seem to be got nothing. Writing? RichCopy #8230; has something but unknown. Let#8217;s think about not only other essays speed but also reliablity! Copying nn same disk Fast Copy was faster than Windows 8 when copying 25GB mixed files 1. But copy 3,5GB photo file from writing in india one disk to another disk Fast Copy was slower than Windows8.

Watch out with Extremecopy. Recently I was creating backups of harddrives with small files and Extremecopy wasn#8217;t able to handle that properly. There were files missing on the second harddrive without any warning or message. I reproduced the bug multiple times. It#8217;s the problem, lot of darwinism essays, user see ONLY the the essay question, performance, not the data security. And with Teracopy or Windows copy, you have data lost, lost without any error message if error, no control and error message when error (and the user presume all is ok). Same with lot of software mentionned here too. Some time, on network cable unplug/hotplug + move, product an error (normal), but when you resume, it destroy the source, and due to not readable source destroy the destination#8230; then source and destination are destroyed. Fiske? Please consider FASTCOPY as I have found FASTCOPY to have NET SPEED AS FAST.

Here#8217;s why: You can tell FASTCOPY to copy and the essay, you can walk away. When you come back, you will have the job done. If you use windows and you walk away, when you come back, you may see windows stuck at 1% with a question asking you an other innocent question like: Are you sure you want to copy this file? Imagine you trying to copy 100 gigabytes of files and come back in essay, 2 hours and see that message, would you be upset? How about this, after you answer that first question, then, you walk away, thinking#8230;#8221;Okay I told windows to copy already#8230;windows should not have any question.#8221; Guess what?

2 hours later, I came back and another question was waiting for fiske darwinism other me. After answering that second question, I sat there for mba essay writing services over 60 minutes and then windows could not copy another file because of long#8230;file#8230;name#8230;.Then, the whole process was stopped by windows. Talk about fiske other essays being mad#8230;.Would you be mad, too? I was. Os? So, I found the answer for us. That#8217;s why FASTCOPY is my favorite software as UN-STOP-ABLE-COPY (like many others). Wait Wait Wait my friends, another bonus, FASTCOPY can also do the MAGIC of UN-STOP-ABLE-DELETE? That#8217;s right. You want to DELETE 100 gigabytes of files and you want to get the job done without any hiccup? use FASTCOPY to delete. You can walk away for essays 2 hours and writing services in india, you are sure when you come back, all files are deleted. No question will be waiting for you.

The job will be done. Period. Fiske? That#8217;s genius design. I highly recommend FASTCOPY for NET FAST SPEED for this reason. Please seriously consider my recommendation before you, my friends over the net, waste 5 hours like me in the past.

Have a good day and please help others#8230;Thank you very much in write money, advance. Most importantly, thank you, Raymond, your articles are always excellent. Yes, please, don#8217;t consider of data security, the license of the software, the feature. Fiske Essays? But only the speed#8230; And about the speed: It#8217;s true, Teracopy is too fast, more than 15x more slow than others for network access#8230; If you#8217;re expecting 200,000 files to copy instantly, you#8217;re an the essay idiot. Copying a huge number of small files is always going to be MUCH slower than a small number of huge files, due to the overhead of creating directory entries. Under windows +1, but for fiske darwinism general OS, the IO scheduler + the FS should group the write to improve the how to write an overview, inode access, but the software for the copy should allow it (by event or thread, and not sequential list). Fastcopy can transfer large amount of data without problems. Fiske Essays? I just recently transfer a large folder which has a number of sub folders.

202 GB (217,741,109,599 bytes) 7,022 Files, 624 Folders. Thanks for this nice review. Awesome tests, Raymond. Thank you. I do not like TeraCopy (paid version). Crisis? In two tests, he failed to copy. 200 files totaling. Fiske Other Essays? In another test, he failed to copy/replace three files in the system folder, totaling 387KB.

I ran the same tests with SuperCopier and have not had any problem. The supercopier have a new version 3.0 who make better transfert than 2.5 beta. Perhaps we can update your exelent test. TeraCopy dies when you select a large number of mba essay in india, files from a folder to copy. Selected 180,000 files to copy and had to kill the other, process after 5 minutes of services, waiting for it do do something#8230; TeraCopy doesn#8217;t die.

It takes a long time for it to process a large number of files. If you had waited longer it should#8217;ve worked fine. Yes it dies, try to move a directory and while doing it, move it to somewhere else with windows standard move action, when teracopy reaches the missing files it will slow down and fiske darwinism other, the speed is 1 file/folder per 30 second. Essays Water? At first it looked like FastCopy was doing a great Job but after 2850 seconds it shows major drawbacks in darwinism other essays, performance, my bet is the verify option! Up until now FastCopy archived. 80mb/s (diff hdd setting) then it stopped because md5sum was slower than copied files (assumption: md5sum in essayer, FastCopy is fiske darwinism essays, not multithreaded) . Chinese-english? Ever since the copy process stopped once it won#8217;t get faster than. Darwinism? 50mb/s Which kinda sux! TransRate (current): 42mb/s. Amount of essays make money, Data to be copied 917GB! I say Win7 x64 copy is faster than that! gonna try out essays teracopy to see if it is good. I Have been using Fast Copy, intergrated with Total Commander, for many years.

Never failed me. A nice feature is the ability to detect and create physical Hard Links as well as logical Junction Points. Anyway, you have to study the help file carefully(!) to use these advanced features. Nerd recommandation :) Greetz Duck. Excellent article. Helped me a lot make up my mind.

Congratulations and keep on write, going! I visit daily your site ;) I think it#8217;s only fair to Win 8 that I mention the darwinism other, cause for a large part of the slowdown, although obviously the result stands because that#8217;s how it comes by how to write an overview, default; better security but slower copy speeds. the part with the Defender being active while testing should be highlighted in the Win8 test results. because in fiske darwinism essays, normal work the computer has 1 AV product active, on chinese-english translation essay, any systems, unless you are asking to get a virus. and so far, all the AV products i use just disable the builtin defender product so at darwinism other the end of the day you don`t get a Xp + filecopy vs Win8 + defender + file copier, instead you get let`s say Xp+Eset vs Win8+Eset. hi folks, happy new year to all. I wanto to ask if robocopy not winrobocopy is better or worse than fastcopy over network copy? since many years I used to schedule robocopy script for network files transfer, I want to ask you why don#8217;t you have introduced classic robocopy tool in this review to see if is more reliable or less than others softwares?Thank you in advance for your answer and for your review. Chrome Os? Have a nice day, Matthew. Thank you very much and happy new year 2013.

Wow surprised at Win8#8217;s poor performance (just another reason in fiske other, my mind to stick with Win7). Also a little disappointed to see my program of the essay question, choice, Teracopy, not do better then it did. I#8217;ll be trying out a couple of fiske, these other programs though although I love Teracopy#8217;s shell integration that some of these others don#8217;t have. hey raymond.wel come back. thanks for that. The Essay Question? I have tried some of these. I liked copy handler the fiske darwinism, best. Essays About? I now use Q-Dir as it does a lot more than just copy and I find it is pretty fast. It is fiske other, also easy to copy between the four screens. Great review!

Just one tip: you can pause Fastcopy if you put the essayer chrome os, #8220;buffer slider#8221; all to darwinism other essays the left i.imgur.com/KOBBD.png. FastCopy is the money, best but the poor thing is essays, that there is no way to integrate with the Ctrl-C Ctrl-V shortcuts in Explorer#8230; I like to know I’m using a very fast copy software.great article as always, thanks. Year#8217;s end is neither an end nor a beginning#8230;#8230;#8230;..Say Goodbye 2012 today Welcome 2013 tomorrow! Happy New Year 2013! I have a question Raymond, is it worthwhile to use Teracopy in Windows 8 Pro 64 bit? I haven#8217;t used it since Windows XP when there was significant improvement over default Windows XP File Transfer/Copy.

Windows 8 seems to have an improvement in its File Transfer/Copy so is there any significant speed difference? Running a quick test under identical conditions to the article, Teracopy on Win 8 x64 completed test #1 in 205 seconds, 32 seconds up on what Win 8 managed by itself. It will improve things slightly but Win 8 is horribly slow compared to Win 7 and even XP. Win 8 was quicker than Teracopy anyway in tests 2 and 3 so you won#8217;t get much of a gain if any there. The Essay Question? Even Fastcopy took 194 seconds so it seems Win 8 simply struggles with certain file transfers whatever software you use. Darwinism? The Win8 result for a lot of smaller files is disturbing, but even though it#8217;s unlikely, I#8217;m hoping that perhaps Windows Update wasn#8217;t current on os, it. I know there were two or three major patches for it in addition to the usual security fixes and the like that wouldn#8217;t matter themselves. Unlikely, but worth asking. Fiske Other Essays? At least Win8 has pause/resume! I usually use Total Commander, so I#8217;m wondering how it fares in general and the essay, if it also suffers from being in Win8.

Unfortunately I#8217;m going to confirm your fears Rick and other, say that like XP and 7, Windows 8 was fully patched and crisis, up to fiske other essays date at the time of writing the article with NO 3rd party software installed at all. The only patch since is a minor one for Windows Defender. Just ran test #1 on Win 8 with Total Commander x64 8.01 and it completed in 233s, only 4s faster than Windows 8 itself. Services In India? A similar run in Win 7 produced a result 3s seconds quicker than the default copy of 169s. Thanks. Well, that cinches it then, another Win8 disappointment. I have a lot of them, but that#8217;s for another thread. I#8217;ll keep an eye out though in fiske darwinism other essays, other places to see if this issue has come up and what the explanation might be.

If we#8217;re lucky, it#8217;s something that can be disabled. Wow didn#8217;t realized it was this bad! I thought to myself wow look at Win 8 first time ever I seen a different file transfer by Microsoft. So what do you guys suggest I use to question replace Win 8 file transfer? FastCopy or Teracopy? Which is more stable hehe#8230; Wait a sec: what if it#8217;s Windows Defender doing it (i.e. the renamed Microsoft Security Essentials that#8217;s now bundled in Win8)? That would make sense, since it would affect all programs, and Win7 doesn#8217;t have AV. Could you rerun your test with Defender#8217;s real-time protection disabled? Yeap, obviously disabling the fiske essays, Security Essentials part of Windows Defender will make a difference and in the test it was around 50 seconds faster which is quite a bit.

The thing is now i#8217;m turning off parts of Windows 8 to improve performance where the other 2 weren#8217;t touched to #8220;help things along#8221;. This is why it was tested with default settings or else I would be here all day just tweaking Windows! I use Teracopy and FastCopy. They both seem stable to me. FastCopy lives up to it#8217;s name and is faster, but can not (to the best of my knowledge) be set as Windows Default File Handler while TeraCopy can.

If I want the essays water crisis, extra speed I can choose to use FastCopy, but mostly I#8217;m lazy (ctrl+c, ctrl+v) and use TeraCopy. Fiske? Although, there is one thing I do always use FastCopy for, and that is how to an overview of an article, syncing a USB Memory Stick to fiske it#8217;s backup folder on my computer. FastCopy has #8220;Sync#8221; as a copy method option and question, it is darwinism other essays, a very fast (from my very limited testing) way of updating the backup. Chinese-english Translation? Another nice thing about FastCopy is that you can use it via batch files :-) and fiske darwinism essays, while I#8217;m in a curious mood, a not so quick comparison of essayer, speed Teracopy and essays, FastCopy vs a large folder with *MANY* files (my PortableApps folder :-) XP3, copying a 1.91GB folder with 35,903 files from one external Hard Drive to another. Way to many programs running in the background.

Computer is old enough that it might even be via USB1.1 connections :-o. Teracopy 2.27: 26.05 minutes. Chinese-english Translation Essay? FastCopy 2.11: 17.33 minutes. Windows XP: I#8217;m not even going to darwinism essays try that :-p. I can tell you right now, FastCopy#8217;s Shell Extension is buggy on mba essay writing services in india, Win 8. At first it works after few hours seems to stop working . Uninstall and reinstall Shell Extension didn#8217;t seem to help. I will try restart system later but right now to me it is buggy. Just an update after several reinstall uninstall shell extension of FastCopy it is working again. Weird but still this to me means its slightly buggy.

No pc restart was needed. So many thanks for this SUPERB review. I heard time ago about Fast Copy and I change from TeraCopy to it. I like to know I#8217;m using a very fast copy software. Nice post Raymond! Never knew Fast Copier had this much potential, Thanks for darwinism essays the article. Good article, Ray. Oho, this realy what I like, thanx man#8230; great article as always, thanks and keep it up.

Nice Article. Writing Services? I am also using TERA COPY. A nice copy software. Thanks for the adtional info#8230;. Fiske Darwinism Other Essays? Thank you for chinese-english the review Raymond. Now everything is clear :P :D. Fiske? Good article. Currently, I#8217;m using TeraCopy#8217;s latest beta version with ease. It#8217;s a breath of fresh air to see some of the mba essay, new copy file software alternatives. Thanks Ray for the information, it is extremely helpful.

I enjoyed the reading, thanks Raymond. Thank You Raymond this post is very useful for me as i copy a lot of files. Thanks Raymond, this information really is, an #8220;eye opener#8221;. Other Essays? Thank you for the write up Raymond as it makes for interesting reading, i discovered Teracopy awhile back and how to of an, was initially happy with better transfer speeds. after reading this review im going to give Fastcopy a trial and see how well it does on my system.

Write My Essay Online for Cheap -
Darwinism and Other Essays - John Fiske - Google Books

essay ww2 About World War I. T he First World War was truly #145;the Great War#146;. Its origins were complex. Its scale was vast. Fiske Darwinism Other? Its conduct was intense. Its impact on military operations was revolutionary. Its human and material costs were enormous. And its results were profound. The war was a global conflict.

Thirty-two nations were eventually involved. Essays Make? Twenty-eight of these constituted the Allied and other, Associated Powers, whose principal belligerents were the British Empire, France, Italy, Russia, Serbia, and the United States of essays about crisis America. They were opposed by the Central Powers: Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Germany, and the Ottoman Empire. The war began in the Balkan cockpit of competing nationalisms and ancient ethnic rivalries. Hopes that it could be contained there proved vain. Expansion of the fiske other essays war was swift. Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia on 28 July 1914; Germany declared war on Russia on 1 August. Germany declared war on France on 3 August and mba essay in india, invaded Belgium. France was invaded on 4 August. German violation of fiske essays Belgian neutrality provided the British with a convenient excuse to enter the about water war on the side of France and Russia the same evening. Austria-Hungary declared war on darwinism essays Russia on 6 August.

France and Great Britain declared war on Austria-Hungary six days later. The underlying causes of these events have been intensively researched and debated. Modern scholars are less inclined to allocate blame for the outbreak of war than was the case in the past. They have sought instead to understand the fears and ambitions of the governing lites of Europe who took the fateful decisions for war, particularly that of imperial Germany. Fears were more important than ambitions. Of the powers involved in the outbreak of war, only Serbia had a clear expansionist agenda.

The French hoped to recover the question provinces of Alsace and darwinism, Lorraine lost to about crisis, Germany as a result of fiske darwinism essays their defeat in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1, but this was regarded as an attempt at restitution rather than acquisition. Otherwise, defensive considerations were paramount. Translation? The states who embarked on the road to war in 1914 wished to preserve what they had. This included not only their territorial integrity but also their diplomatic alliances and their prestige. Fiske Essays? These defensive concerns made Europe's statesmen take counsel of question their fears and submit to the tyranny of events. The Austrians feared for the survival of their multi-racial Empire if they did not confront the fiske other essays threat of Serb nationalism and Panslavism. The Germans feared the money consequences to themselves of allowing Austria, their closest and other essays, only reliable ally, to write money, be weakened and humiliated. The Russians feared the threat to their prestige and authority as protector of the Slavs if they allowed Austria to defeat and humiliate Serbia. The French feared the superior population numbers, economic resources, and military strength of their German neighbours. France's principal defence against the threat of German power was its alliance with Russia.

This it was imperative to defend. The British feared occupation of the Low Countries by other a hostile power, especially a hostile power with a large modern navy. But most of all they feared for the long-term security of their Empire if they did not support France and Russia, their principal imperial rivals, whose goodwill they had been assiduously cultivating for a decade. All governments feared their peoples. Some statesmen welcomed the war in the belief that it would act as a social discipline purging society of dissident elements and encouraging a return to patriotic values. Others feared that it would be a social solvent, dissolving and transforming everything it touched.

The process of expansion did not end in August 1914. Other major belligerents took their time and waited upon events. Italy, diplomatically aligned with Germany and Austria since the Triple Alliance of 1882, declared its neutrality on 3 August. In the following months it was ardently courted by France and Britain. On 23 May 1915 the Italian government succumbed to how to write an overview of an, Allied temptations and declared war on Austria-Hungary in pursuit of territorial aggrandizement in the Trentino. Bulgaria invaded Serbia on 7 October 1915 and sealed that pugnacious country's fate. Serbia was overrun.

The road to Constantinople was opened to the Central Powers. Romania prevaricated about which side to join, but finally chose the Allies in August 1916, encouraged by the success of the Russian 'Brusilov Offensive'. It was a fatal miscalculation. The German response was swift and decisive. Romania was rapidly overwhelmed by two invading German armies and its rich supplies of fiske essays wheat and oil did much to keep Germany in the war for write an overview article, another two years. Romania joined Russia as the other Allied power to fiske other, suffer defeat in the war. It was British belligerency, however, which was fundamental in turning a European conflict into a world war. Britain was the world's greatest imperial power. The British had world-wide interests and world-wide dilemmas. They also had world-wide friends. Germany found itself at essayer chrome, war not only fiske other essays with Great Britain but also with the dominions of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa and the essay question, with the greatest British imperial possession, India.

Concern for the defence of India helped bring the British into darwinism other conflict with the Ottoman Empire in November 1914 and resulted in a major war in the Middle East. Most important of all, perhaps, Britain's close political, economic, and cultural ties with the United States of America, if they did not ensure that nation's eventual entry into the war, certainly made it possible. The American declaration of war on Germany on mba essay writing services 6 April 1917 was a landmark not only in the history of the United States but also in that of Europe and the world, bringing to an end half a millennium of fiske other essays European domination and ushering in 'the American century'. The geographical scale of the conflict meant that it was not one war but many. On the Western Front in France and Belgium the French and their British allies, reinforced from 1917 onwards by writing services the Americans, were locked in a savage battle of essays attrition against the German army. The Essay? Here the war became characterized by increasingly elaborate and sophisticated trench systems and field fortifications. Dense belts of barbed wire, concrete pillboxes, intersecting arcs of machine-gun fire, and accumulating masses of quick-firing field and heavy artillery rendered man#156;uvre virtually impossible. Casualties were enormous. The first phase of the war in the west lasted until November 1914.

This witnessed Germany's attempt to defeat France through an darwinism other, enveloping movement round the left flank of the French armies. The plan met with initial success. The advance of the German armies through Belgium and northern France was dramatic. The French, responding with an offensive in Lorraine, suffered an almost catastrophic national defeat. France was saved by the iron nerve of its commander-in-chief, General J. J. C. Joffre, who had not only the intelligence but also the strength of character to extricate himself from the ruin of his plans and order the historic counter-attack against the German right wing, the 'miracle of the essayer os Marne'. The German armies were forced to retreat and to entrench. Their last attempt at fiske darwinism, a breakthrough was stopped by French and British forces near the small Flemish market town of Ypres in essays, November. Fiske? By Christmas 1914 trench lines stretched from the Belgian coast to the Swiss frontier. Although the events of 1914 did not result in essays money, a German victory, they left the Germans in a very strong position. The German army held the strategic initiative. It was free to retreat to positions of tactical advantage and to reinforce them with all the fiske darwinism other skill and ingenuity of German military engineering.

Enormous losses had been inflicted on France. Two-fifths of France's military casualties were incurred in 1914. These included a tenth of the officer corps. German troops occupied a large area of northern France, including a significant proportion of French industrial capacity and chinese-english, mineral wealth. These realities dominated the second phase of the fiske other war in the west. This lasted from November 1914 until March 1918. It was characterized by the unsuccessful attempts of the French and their British allies to evict the essays money German armies from French and Belgian territory. During this period the Germans stood mainly on the defensive, but they showed during the Second Battle of Ypres (22 April-25 May 1915), and more especially during the Battle of Verdun (21 February-18 December 1916), a dangerous capacity to disrupt their enemies' plans. The French made three major assaults on the German line: in the spring of 1915 in Artois; in fiske essays, the autumn of 1915 in Champagne; and in the spring of 1917 on the Aisne (the 'Nivelle Offensive'). These attacks were characterized by the intensity of the fighting and the absence of achievement.

Little ground was gained. No positions of strategic significance were captured. Writing In India? Casualties were severe. The failure of the darwinism other Nivelle Offensive led to a serious breakdown of morale in the French army. For much of the rest of 1917 it was incapable of major offensive action. The British fared little better. Question? Although their armies avoided mutiny they came no closer to breaching the German line. During the battles of the Somme (1 July19 November 1916) and darwinism, the Third Battle of Ypres (31 July-12 November 1917) they inflicted great losses on the German army at great cost to themselves, but the German line held and no end to the war appeared in essays about water, sight. The final phase of the war in the west lasted from 21 March until 11 November 1918.

This saw Germany once more attempt to achieve victory with a knock-out blow and once more fail. The German attacks used sophisticated new artillery and infantry tactics. They enjoyed spectacular success. The British 5th Army on the Somme suffered a major defeat. But the British line held in fiske darwinism other, front of Amiens and later to the north in front of Ypres. No real strategic damage was done. Mba Essay? By midsummer the German attacks had petered out. The German offensive broke the trench deadlock and returned movement and man#156;uvre to the strategic agenda. It also compelled closer Allied military co-operation under a French generalissimo, General Ferdinand Foch.

The Allied counter-offensive began in fiske darwinism other, July. At the Battle of Amiens, on 8 August, the British struck the how to an overview of an German army a severe blow. For the rest of the war in the west the Germans were in retreat. On the Eastern Front in Galicia and Russian Poland the Germans and their Austrian allies fought the gallant but disorganized armies of Russia. Here the fiske darwinism distances involved were very great.

Artillery densities were correspondingly less. Write Make? Man#156;uvre was always possible and cavalry could operate effectively. Darwinism Other Essays? This did nothing to translation, lessen casualties, which were greater even than those on the Western Front. The war in fiske, the east was shaped by how to write an overview of an German strength, Austrian weakness, and Russian determination. German military superiority was apparent from the start of the war. Other? The Russians suffered two crushing defeats in essay, 1914, at Tannenberg (26-31 August) and the Masurian Lakes (5-15 September).

These victories ensured the security of Germany's eastern frontiers for the rest of the darwinism other war. They also established the military legend of Field-Marshal Paul von Hindenburg and General Erich Ludendorff, who emerged as principal directors of the German war effort in how to an overview article, the autumn of 1916. By September 1915 the Russians had been driven out of Poland, Lithuania, and Courland. Austro-German armies occupied Warsaw and the Russian frontier fortresses of Ivangorod, Kovno, Novo-Georgievsk, and Brest-Litovsk. These defeats proved costly to Russia. They also proved costly to Austria. Austria had a disastrous war. Italian entry into the war compelled the Austrians to fight an three fronts: against Serbia in the Balkans; against fiske essays Russia in Galicia; against Italy in the Trentino. This proved too much for essayer chrome os, Austrian strength. Their war effort was characterized by dependency on Germany.

Germans complained that they were shackled to the 'Austrian corpse'. Fiske Other Essays? The war exacerbated the write essays make money Austro-Hungarian Empire's many ethnic and national tensions. Fiske Other Essays? By 1918 Austria was weary of the war and desperate for peace. This had a major influence on the German decision to seek a victory in the west in the spring of 1918. Perceptions of the Russian war effort have been overshadowed by the October Revolution of 1917 and by Bolshevik 'revolutionary defeatism' which acquiesced in the punitive Treaty of os Brest-Litovsk (14 March 1918) and took Russia out of the war. This has obscured the astonishing Russian determination to keep faith with the Franco-British alliance. Without the Russian contribution in the east it is far from certain that Germany could have been defeated in the west.

The unhesitating Russian willingness to aid their western allies is nowhere more apparent than in the 'Brusilov Offensive' (June-September 1916), which resulted in the capture of the Bukovina and fiske darwinism essays, large parts of Galicia, as well as 350,000 Austrian prisoners, but at a cost to Russia which ultimately proved mortal. In southern Europe the Italian army fought eleven indecisive battles in an attempt to dislodge the Austrians from write of an, their mountain strongholds beyond the Isonzo river. In October 1917 Austrian reinforcement by seven German divisions resulted in fiske darwinism other essays, a major Italian defeat at Caporetto. Write Of An? The Italians were pushed back beyond the Piave. This defeat produced changes in the Italian high command. During 1918 Italy discovered a new unity of purpose and a greater degree of organization. On 24 October 1918 Italian and British forces recrossed the Piave and split the Austrian armies in two at Vittorio Veneto. Austrian retreat turned into rout and then into surrender. In the Balkans the Serbs fought the Austrians and Bulgarians, suffering massive casualties, including the fiske darwinism other highest proportion of servicemen killed of any belligerent power. In October 1915 a Franco-British army was sent to Macedonia to operate against the Bulgarians. It struggled to have any influence on the war.

The Germans mocked it and declared Salonika to be the biggest internment camp in Europe, but the French and British eventually broke out chinese-english of the malarial plains into the mountainous valleys of the fiske other Vardar and Struma rivers before inflicting defeat on mba essay services in india Bulgaria in the autumn of 1918. In the Middle East British armies fought the Turks in a major conflict with far-reaching consequences. Fiske Other Essays? Here the war was characterized by the doggedness of Turkish resistance and by the constant struggle against climate, terrain, and disease. Essays Money? The British attempted to other essays, knock Turkey out of the war with an attack on the Gallipoli peninsula in April 1915, but were compelled to withdraw at the end of the year, having failed to essay, break out from their narrow beach-heads in the face of stubborn Turkish resistance, coordinated by a German general, Liman von Sanders. The British also suffered another humiliating reverse in Mesopotamia when a small army commanded by Major-General C. V. F. Fiske Darwinism Other? Townshend advanced to Ctesiphon but outran its supplies and was compelled to surrender at Kut-al-Amara in April 1916. Only after the appointment of Sir Stanley Maude to the command of British forces in Mesopotamia did Britain's superior military and economic strength begin to assert itself. Maude's forces captured Baghdad in March 1917, the first clear-cut British victory of the war. The following June General Sir Edmund Allenby was appointed to command British forces in Egypt. He captured Jerusalem by Christmas and in September 1918 annihilated Turkish forces in the essay question, Palestine. Turkey surrendered on fiske darwinism other essays 31 October 1918. The war also found its way to tropical Africa.

Germany's colonies in West and south-west Africa succumbed to British and South African forces by the spring of 1915. In East Africa, however, a German army of locally raised black African soldiers commanded by Colonel Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck conducted a brilliant guerrilla campaign, leading over 100,000 British and South African troops a merry dance through the bush and chinese-english essay, surrendering only fiske darwinism after the defeat of Germany in Europe became known. On and under the oceans of the world, Great Britain and Germany contested naval supremacy. Surface battles took place in the Pacific, the south Atlantic, and the North Sea. The British generally had the chinese-english better of these despite suffering some disappointments, notably at Coronel (1 November 1914) and Jutland (31 May-1 June 1916), the only major fleet engagement, during which Admiral Sir John Jellicoe failed to deliver the expected Nelsonic victory of darwinism other essays total annihilation. Submarine warfare took place in how to write of an article, the North Sea, the Black Sea, the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, and the Baltic. German resort to unrestricted submarine warfare (February 1917) brought Britain to the verge of fiske ruin. German violation of international law and sinking of American ships also helped bring the United States into the war on mba essay the Allied side. Fiske Other? The British naval blockade of Germany, massively reinforced by the Americans from translation essay, April 1917, played an important role in German defeat. The geographical scale of the conflict made it very difficult for political and military leaders to control events. The obligations of coalition inhibited strategic independence.

Short-term military needs often forced the great powers to allow lesser states a degree of licence they would not have enjoyed in peacetime. Governments' deliberate arousal of popular passions made suggestions of compromise seem treasonable. The ever-rising cost of the military means inflated the political ends. Hopes of a peaceful new world order began to replace old diplomatic abstractions such as 'the balance of fiske darwinism power'. Rationality went out of season.

War aims were obscured. Strategies were distorted. Great Britain entered the war on proclaimed principles of international law and in defence of the rights of small nations. By 1918 the British government was pursuing a Middle Eastern policy of naked imperialism (in collaboration with the French), while simultaneously encouraging the aspirations of writing services in india Arab nationalism and promising support for the establishment of a Jewish national home in Palestine. It was truly a war of fiske darwinism other essays illusions. Europe's political and military leaders have been subjected to much retrospective criticism for their belief that the #145;war would be over by Christmas'. Question? This belief was not based on complacency.

Even those who predicted with chilling accuracy the murderous nature of First World War battlefields, such as the Polish banker Jan Bloch, expected the war to be short. This was because they also expected it to be brutal and costly, in both blood and treasure. No state could be expected to sustain such a war for very long without disastrous consequences. The war which gave the lie to these assumptions was the American Civil War. Fiske Essays? This had been studied by European military observers at close quarters. Most, however, dismissed it. This was particularly true of the Prussians. Their own military experience in the wars against Austria (1866) and France (1870-1) seemed more relevant and compelling. These wars were both short. They were also instrumental.

In 1914 the mba essay in india Germans sought to replicate the darwinism essays success of their Prussian predecessors. They aimed to fight a 'cabinet war' on the Bismarckian model. To do so they developed a plan of breath-taking recklessness which depended on the ability of the essayer chrome os German army to defeat France in the thirty-nine days allowed for other, a war in the west. Strategic conduct of the First World War was dominated by German attempts to achieve victory through knock-out blows. About Crisis? Erich von Falkenhayn, German commander-in-chief from September 1914 until August 1916, was almost alone in his belief that Germany could obtain an outcome to the war satisfactory to its interests and those of fiske darwinism other its allies without winning smashing victories of total annihilation. His bloody attempt to win the war by attrition at Verdun in 1916 did little to article, recommend the strategy to his fellow countrymen. The preference for knock-out blows remained. It was inherited from German history and was central to Germany's pre-war planning.

Pre-war German strategy was haunted by the fear of essays a war on two fronts, against essays about crisis France in the west and fiske, Russia in the east. The possibility of a diplomatic solution to chinese-english translation, this dilemma was barely considered by the military-dominated German government. A military solution was sought instead. The German high command decided that the best form of essays defence was attack. They would avoid a war on two fronts by knocking out one of their enemies before the other could take the field. Write Essays Make? The enemy with the slowest military mobilization was Russia. Fiske Other? The French army would be in the field first. France was therefore chosen to receive the first blow.

Once France was defeated the German armies would turn east and defeat Russia. The Schlieffen Plan rested on two assumptions: that it would take the write an overview Russians six weeks to put an army into the field; and that six weeks was long enough to defeat France. By 1914 the first assumption was untrue: Russia put an army into the field in fifteen days. The second assumption left no margin for error, no allowance for the inevitable friction of war, and was always improbable. The failure of the Schlieffen Plan gave the fiske essays First World War its essential shape. This was maintained by the enduring power of the German army, which was, in John Terraine's phrase, 'the motor of the war'. The German army was a potent instrument. It had played a historic role in the emergence of the German state. It enjoyed enormous prestige. It was able to mba essay writing in india, recruit men of talent and dedication as officers and NCOs. As a result it was well trained and well led.

It had the political power to command the resources of Germany's powerful industrial economy. Germany's position at the heart of Europe meant that it could operate on interior lines of communication in a European war. The efficient German railway network permitted the movement of German troops quickly from front to fiske darwinism other, front. The superior speed of the locomotive over the essay question, the ship frustrated Allied attempts to use their command of the sea to operate effectively against the periphery of the Central Powers. The power of the German army was the fundamental strategic reality of the fiske essays war. 'We cannot hope to win this war until we have defeated the German army,' wrote the commander-in-chief of the British Expeditionary Force, Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig. This was a judgement whose consequences some Allied political leaders were reluctant to embrace. The German army suffered from two important strategic difficulties. The first of these was the inability of the German political system to the essay, forge appropriate instruments of strategic control. Fiske? The second was Great Britain. German government rested on the tortured personality of the Kaiser. It was riven by intrigue and indecision.

The kind of centralized decision-making structures which eventually evolved in how to write an overview of an, Britain and France (though not in Russia) failed to evolve in Germany. When the Kaiser proved incapable of coordinating German strategy, he was replaced not by a system but by other individuals, seemingly more effective. Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg radiated calm and inspired confidence. This gave him the appearance of a great man but without the substance. General Erich Ludendorff was a military technocrat of outstanding talent, but he was highly strung and without political judgement.

In 1918 his offensive strategy brought Germany to ruin. The failure to develop effective mechanisms of strategic control applied equally to the Austro-German alliance. The Austrians depended on German military and economic strength, but the Germans found it difficult to turn this into 'leverage'. Austria was willing to take German help but not German advice. Only after the crushing reverses inflicted by Brusilov's offensive did the Austrians submit to German strategic direction.

By then it was almost certainly too late. Germany's pre-war strategic planning was based entirely on winning a short war. British belligerency made this unlikely. Fiske Other Essays? The British were a naval rather than a military power. They could not be defeated by the German army, at least not quickly. The British could, if necessary, hold out how to even after their Continental allies had been defeated. They might even have chosen to do this. They had in the past and they would again in the not-too-distant future. The German navy was too weak to fiske darwinism other, defeat the British, but large enough to make them resentful and suspicious of German policy; it ought never to have been built.

British entry into the war dramatically shifted the economic balance in favour of the Allies. Britain was one of the world's great industrial powers. Seventy-five per cent of the world's shipping was British built and much of it British owned. London was the world's greatest money and commodities market. British access to world supplies of food and credit and to imperial resources of manpower made them a formidable enemy, despite the 'contemptible little army' which was all they could put into the field on the outbreak of war.

From about mid-1916 onwards British economic, industrial, and manpower resources began to be fully mobilized. Mba Essay Writing Services? Germany was forced for the first time to confront the reality of material inferiority. Germany had increasingly to fight a war of scarcity, the Allies increasingly a war of abundance. French strategy was dominated by the German occupation of fiske darwinism other essays much of essayer northern France and other, most of Belgium. Chrome? At its closest point the fiske other essays German line was less than 40 miles from Paris. A cautious, defensive strategy was politically unacceptable and psychologically impossible, at least during the first three years of the war. During 1914 and 1915 France sacrificed enormous numbers of men in the attempt to evict the Germans. This was followed by the torment of Verdun, where the Germans deliberately attempted to 'bleed France white'.

French fears of military inferiority were confirmed. If France was to prevail its allies would have to contribute in kind. For the British this was a radical departure from the historic norm and one which has appalled them ever since. British strategy became increasingly subordinated to services, the needs of the Franco-British alliance. The British fought the war as they had to, not as they wanted to. The British way in warfare envisaged a largely naval war. A naval blockade would weaken Germany economically. If the fiske essays German navy chose not to break the stranglehold Germany would lose the war. If it did choose to fight it would be annihilated. Os? British maritime superiority would be confirmed. Neutral opinion would be cowed.

Fresh allies would be encouraged into the fight. The blockade would be waged with greater ruthlessness. Military operations would be confined to the dispatch of a small professional expeditionary force to help the French. Remaining military forces would be employed on the periphery of the Central Powers remote from the German army, where it was believed they would exercise a strategic influence out of all proportion to their size. The British never really fought the fiske essays war they envisaged. The branch of the how to write an overview of an British army which sent most observers to the American Civil War was the Corps of Royal Engineers. And it was a Royal Engineers' officer, Lord Kitchener, who was one of the few European political and darwinism, military leaders to recognize that the war would be long and require the complete mobilization of national resources.

Kitchener was appointed Secretary of State for War on 5 August 1914. He doubted whether the French and the Russians were strong enough to translation, defeat Germany without massive British military reinforcement. He immediately sought to raise a mass citizen army. There was an overwhelming popular response to his call to arms. Kitchener envisaged this new British army taking the field in 1917 after the French and Russian armies had rendered the German army ripe for defeat. They would be 'the last million men'. They would win the war and decide the peace. For the British a satisfactory peace would be one which guaranteed the long-term security of the other British Empire. This security was threatened as much by Britain's allies, France and Russia, as it was by Germany.

It was imperative not only os that the Allies win the war but also that Britain emerge from it as the fiske other essays dominant power. Kitchener's expectations were disappointed. By 1916 it was the French army which was ripe for chinese-english translation essay, defeat, not the darwinism essays German. But the how to an overview obligations of the French alliance were inescapable. The British could not afford to darwinism essays, acquiesce in about water crisis, a French defeat. French animosity and resentment would replace the valuable mutual understanding which had been achieved in the decade before the war.

The French had a great capacity for making imperial mischief. And so did the Russians. If they were abandoned they would have every reason for doing so. There seemed no choice. The ill-trained and ill-equipped British armies would have to take the field before they were ready and be forced to take a full part in the attrition of German military power. The casualties which this strategy of 'offensive attrition' involved were unprecedented in British history.

They were also unacceptable to some British political leaders. Winston Churchill and David Lloyd George (Prime Minister from December 1916), in darwinism other essays, particular, were opposed to the British army 'chewing barbed wire' on the Western Front. They looked to use it elsewhere, against Germany's allies in the eastern Mediterranean, the Middle East, and the Balkans. Their attempts to do this were inhibited by chinese-english essay the need to keep France in the war. This could only be done in France and by fighting the German army. They were also inhibited by the war's operational and tactical realities. These imposed themselves on Gallipoli and in Salonika and in Italy just as they did on other the Western Front. Attempts to implement an Allied grand strategy enjoyed some success. How To An Overview? Allied political and military leaders met regularly.

At Chantilly in darwinism essays, December 1915 and December 1916 they determined to essays about water, stretch the darwinism other German army to essayer chrome, its limits by simultaneous offensive action on fiske the western, eastern, and Italian fronts. Essayer Chrome? A Supreme Allied War Council was established at Versailles on 27 November 1917, and was given the power to control Allied reserves. Darwinism Other Essays? Franco-British co-operation was especially close. Essays? This was largely a matter of practical necessity which relied on the mutual respect and understanding between French and British commanders-in-chief on the Western Front. The system worked well until the German Spring Offensive of 1918 threatened to darwinism other essays, divide the Allies.

Only then was it replaced by a more formal structure. Crisis? But not even this attained the levels of joint planning and control which became a feature of Anglo-American co-operation in the Second World War. Allied grand strategy was conceptually sound. The problems which it encountered were not principally ones of planning or of co-ordination but of fiske performance. Essayer Chrome Os? Achieving operational effectiveness on the battlefield was what was difficult. This has given the fiske other war, especially the war in the west, its enduring image of boneheaded commanders wantonly sacrificing the lives of about crisis their men in fruitless pursuit of impossibly grandiose strategic designs. The battlefields of the First World War were the product of a century of economic, social, and political change. Europe in 1914 was more populous, more wealthy, and more coherently organized than ever before. The rise of nationalism gave states unprecedented legitimacy and darwinism other, authority. This allowed them to demand greater sacrifices from their civilian populations. Improvements in agriculture reduced the numbers needed to work on the land and provided a surplus of write essays make males of military age.

They also allowed larger and larger armies to be fed and kept in the field for years at fiske other essays, a time. Changes in administrative practice brought about by the electric telegraph, the telephone, the how to of an article typewriter, and the growth of railways allowed these armies to be assembled and fiske other essays, deployed quickly. Essay? Industrial technology provided new weapons of unprecedented destructiveness. Quick-firing rifled cannon, breech-loading magazine rifles, and machine-guns transformed the range, rapidity, accuracy, and deadliness of military firepower. They also ensured that in any future war, scientists, engineers, and fiske other, mechanics would be as important as soldiers. These changes did much to make the First World War the first 'modern war'. But it did not begin as one. The fact of a firepower revolution was understood in most European armies. The consequences of it were not. The experience of the Russo-Japanese War (1904-5) appeared to offer a human solution to the problems of the technological battlefield. Victory would go to the side with the best-trained, most disciplined army, commanded by generals of iron resolution, prepared to maintain the offensive in the face of of an huge losses.

As a result the opening battles of the war were closer in fiske, conception and execution to those of the Napoleonic era than to the battles of 1916 onwards. It is difficult to say exactly when 'modern' war began, but it was apparent by the end of essayer 1915 that pre-war assumptions were false. Well-trained, highly disciplined French, German, and Russian soldiers of high morale were repeatedly flung into battle by commanders of fiske darwinism other essays iron resolve. The results were barren of strategic achievement. The human costs were immense. The 'human solution' was not enough.

The search for a technological solution was inhibited not only by the tenacity of pre-war concepts but also by about water the limitations of the technology itself. The principal instrument of education was artillery. And the mode of instruction was experience. Shell-fire was merciless to troops in the open. Darwinism Other? The response was to get out of the open and into the essay the ground. Soldiers did not dig trenches out of perversity in order to be cold, wet, rat-infested, and lice-ridden. Essays? They dug them in order to write essays, survive. The major tactical problem of the war became how to break these trench lines once they were established and reinforced. For much of the war artillery lacked the ability to find enemy targets, to hit them accurately, and to darwinism other, destroy them effectively. Contemporary technology failed to writing, provide a man-portable wireless.

Communication for darwinism, most of the war was dependent on telephone or telegraph wires. How To An Overview Of An Article? These were always broken by shell-fire and fiske, difficult to protect. Write Essays? Artillery and infantry commanders were rarely in voice communication and other, both usually lacked 'real time' intelligence of battlefield events; First World War infantry commanders could not easily call down artillery fire when confronted by an enemy obstruction. As a result the coordination of essayer chrome infantry and fiske darwinism essays, artillery was very difficult and often impossible. Infantry commanders were forced to fall back on their own firepower and this was often inadequate. The infantry usually found itself with too much to essays about, do, and paid a high price for its weakness. Artillery was not only a major part of the problem, however. Darwinism Other Essays? It was also a major part of the essayer chrome os solution. During 1918 Allied artillery on the western front emerged as a formidable weapon.

Target acquisition was transformed by aerial photographic reconnaissance and fiske darwinism, the sophisticated techniques of flash-spotting and sound-ranging. These allowed mathematically predicted fire, or map-shooting. Write Money? The pre-registration of guns on enemy targets by actual firing was no longer necessary. The possibility of surprise returned to the battlefield. Accuracy was greatly improved by fiske essays maintaining operating histories for individual guns. Battery commanders were supplied with detailed weather forecasts every four hours. Each gun could now be individually calibrated according to its own peculiarities and according to how to of an, wind speed and direction, temperature, and fiske other essays, humidity. Chinese-english Translation? All types and calibres of guns, including heavy siege howitzers whose steep angle of fire was especially effective in other essays, trench warfare, became available in virtually unlimited numbers. Munitions were also improved. Poison gas shells became available for the first time in large numbers. High explosive replaced shrapnel, a devastating anti-personnel weapon but largely ineffective against the earthworks, barbed wire entanglements, and concrete machine-gun emplacements which the infantry had to assault.

Instantaneous percussion fuses concentrated the explosive effect of shells more effectively against barbed wire and reduced the cratering of the battlefield which had often rendered the forward movement of supplies and reinforcements difficult if not impossible. Artillery-infantry co-operation was radically improved by aerial fire control. The tactical uses to make, which this destructive instrument were put also changed. In 1915, 1916, and for much of 1917 artillery was used principally to kill enemy soldiers. It always did so, sometimes in large numbers. But it always spared some, even in front-line trenches. These were often enough, as during the first day of the Battle of the Somme (1 July 1916), to inflict disastrous casualties on attacking infantry and bring an fiske darwinism, entire offensive to an overview of an, a halt. From the autumn of 1917 and during 1918, however, artillery was principally used to suppress enemy defences. Command posts, telephone exchanges, crossroads, supply dumps, forming-up areas, and gun batteries were targeted. Darwinism Other? Effective use was made of poison gas, both lethal and write essays make money, lachrymatory, and smoke.

The aim was to disrupt the enemy's command and control system and keep his soldiers' heads down until attacking infantry could close with them and bring their own firepower to bear. The attacking infantry were also transformed. In 1914 the British soldier went to war dressed like a gamekeeper in a soft cap, armed only with rifle and bayonet. In 1918 he went into battle dressed like an fiske essays, industrial worker in a steel helmet, protected by a respirator against poison gas, armed with automatic weapons and mortars, supported by tanks and ground-attack aircraft, and preceded by a creeping artillery barrage of the essay crushing intensity. Firepower replaced manpower as the instrument of victory. This represented a revolution in the conduct of war. The ever-increasing material superiority of the western Allies confronted the German army with major problems.

Its response was organizational. As early as 1915 even the weakly armed British proved that they could always break into essays the German front-line trenches. The solution was to deepen the trench system and write, limit the number of fiske other infantry in the front line, where they were inviting targets for enemy artillery. The burden of defence rested on machine-gunners carefully sited half a mile or so behind the front line. From the autumn of 1916 the Germans took these changes to their logical conclusion by instituting a system of 'elastic defence in depth'. The German front line was sited where possible on a reverse slope to essays about water crisis, make enemy artillery observation difficult. A formal front-line trench system was abandoned. The German first line consisted of machine-gunners located in shell-holes, difficult to detect from the air. Their job was to disrupt an enemy infantry assault.

This would then be drawn deep into the German position, beyond the supporting fire of its own guns, where it would be counter-attacked and destroyed by the bulk of the German infantry and artillery. This system allowed the Germans to survive against an Allied manpower superiority of more than 3:2 on the Western Front throughout 1917 and to inflict significant losses on their enemies. The German system required intelligent and essays, well-trained as well as brave soldiers to make it work. An increasing emphasis was placed on individual initiative, surprise, and speed. In 1918 specially trained #145;stormtroops', supported by a hurricane bombardment designed to mba essay writing services, disrupt their enemies' lines of communication and their command and control systems, were ordered to fiske darwinism essays, bypass points of resistance and advance deep into the enemy's rear.

The success they enjoyed was dramatic, and much greater than anything achieved by the French and British, but it was not enough. Attacking German infantry could not maintain the momentum and inflict upon enemy commanders the kind of moral paralysis achieved by German armoured forces in translation essay, 1940. Fiske Darwinism? The Allied line held and exhausted German infantry were eventually forced back by the accumulating weight and increasing sophistication of Allied material technology. The material solution to the problems of the First World War battlefield, favoured by the western Allies, was not in the gift of soldiers alone. It depended on question the ability of the armes' host societies to produce improved military technology in ever-greater amounts. Fiske Other Essays? This, in turn, depended on the effectiveness of their political institutions and the quality of their civilian morale. It was a contest at which the liberal democracies of France and Great Britain (and eventually the United States of America) proved more adept than the authoritarian regimes of Austria-Hungary, Germany, and Russia.

The 'modern war' fought from 1916 onwards resolved itself simply into a demand for more: more men, more weapons, more ammunition, more money, more skills, more morale, more food. Some of the demands were contradictory. More men meant more men for the armies and more men for the factories. Balancing the competing demands was never easy. 'Manpower' (a word first coined in 1915) became central to the war effort of all states. The Allies were in a much stronger position than Germany. They had access not only to their home populations but also to those of their empires. 630,000 Canadians, 412,000 Australians, 136,000 South Africans, and 130,000 New Zealanders served in the British army during the war. Very large numbers of Indian troops (800,000 in Mesopotamia alone) and a small number of Africans (perhaps 50,000) also served. (The British also employed several hundred thousand Chinese labourers to translation essay, work on darwinism other their lines of chrome os communication.) The French recruited some 600,000 combat troops from North and West Africa and fiske other essays, a further 200,000 labourers. And of course there were the Americans. American troops arrived in France at the rate of 150,000 a month in 1918. Truly the new world had come in to redress the balance of the essayer os old.

The British and French were particularly successful in fiske, mobilizing their economies. In Britain this had much to do with the work of David Lloyd George as Minister of Munitions (May 1915-July 1916). The grip of the skilled trade unions on write of an article industrial processes was relaxed. Ancient lines of demarcation were blurred. Women replaced men in the factories. Research and development were given a proper place in industrial strategy. Prodigies of production were achieved.

On 10 March 1915, at darwinism other, the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, the British Expeditionary Force struggled to accumulate enough shells for half an chrome, hour's bombardment. In the autumn of 1918 its 18-pounder field guns were firing a minimum of 100,000 rounds a day. The French performance was, in many ways, even more impressive, given that so much of their industrial capacity was in German hands. Not only darwinism other essays did the French economy supply the French army with increasing amounts of old and new weaponry, but it also supplied most of the water crisis American Expeditionary Force's artillery and aeroplanes. The French aircraft industry was, arguably, the best in Europe and provided some of the leading aircraft of the war, including the Nieuport and the SPAD VII. Morale was also a key factor. All sides tried to explain and justify the war and used increasingly refined techniques of propaganda to maintain commitment to the cause. Giving the impression of darwinism other essays adversity shared equally among the classes became a key theme. One of the major threats to this was the equality of access to mba essay writing in india, food supplies. In Germany this proved increasingly difficult to maintain. Morale deteriorated and industrial efficiency suffered as a result.

British agriculture did not perform particularly well during the fiske war, but British maritime superiority and financial power allowed them to command the about crisis agricultural resources of North and South America and Australasia. Darwinism Other Essays? Food was one of the Allies#146; principal war-winning weapons. The degree of active resistance to the war was low in most countries. But war-weariness set in everywhere by 1917. There were many strikes and much industrial unrest. In Russia this was severe enough to produce a revolution and then a Bolshevik coup d#146;tat which took Russia out of the war in 1918. The social consequences of this mass mobilization were less spectacular than is sometimes claimed.

There were advances for of an, the organized working class, especially its trade unions, especially in Britain, and arguably for women, but the working class of Europe paid a high price on the battlefield for social advances at home. And in the defeated states there was very little social advance anyway. The First World War redrew the map of Europe and the Middle East. Four great empires, the Romanov, the Hohenzollern, the Habsburg, and the Ottoman, were defeated and collapsed. Fiske Darwinism Other? They were replaced by a number of weak and sometimes avaricious successor states. Russia underwent a bloody civil war before the establishment of a Communist Soviet Union which put it beyond the pale of European diplomacy for a generation. Germany became a republic branded at translation essay, its birth with the fiske other essays stigma of defeat, increasingly weakened by the burden of Allied reparations and by inflation. France recovered the os provinces of Alsace and Lorraine, but continued to be haunted by fear and loathing of Germany.

Italy was disappointed by the territorial rewards of its military sacrifice. Fiske Other? This provided fertile soil for Mussolini's Fascists, who had overthrown parliamentary democracy by 1924. The British maintained the integrity and independence of Belgium. They also acquired huge increases in imperial territory and imperial obligation. But they did not achieve the security for the Empire which they sought. The Essay Question? The white dominions were unimpressed by the quality of British military leadership. The First World War saw them mature as independent nations seeking increasingly to go their own way. Fiske? The stirrings of revolt in India were apparent as soon as the war ended. In 1922 the British were forced, under American pressure, to abandon the Anglo-Japanese alliance, so useful to them in protecting their Far Eastern empire.

They were also forced to about crisis, accept naval parity with the Americans and fiske darwinism other, a bare superiority over write make, the Japanese. 'This is not a peace,' Marshal Foch declared in 1919, 'but an armistice for twenty-five years.' The cost of all this in human terms was 8.5 million dead and 21 million wounded out of some 65 million men mobilized. Fiske Darwinism Essays? The losses among particular groups, especially young, educated middle-class males, were often severe, but the demographic shape of Europe was not fundamentally changed. The real impact was moral. The losses struck a blow at European self-confidence and pretension to superior civilization. It was a blow, perhaps, whose consequences have not even now fully unfolded. From The Oxford Illustrated History of Modern War . Ed. Charles Townshend. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1997.

Copyright © 1997 by Oxford University Press.

inserted by FC2 system